Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
1111 Harvard Ave.
Diverse Harmony is the nation’s first queer-straight alliance youth chorus. Based in Seattle, Washington, our chorus presents music that opens the hearts and minds of communities and provides a safe environment for youth of diverse backgrounds to share their love of music and be accepted for who they are.
· Our vision is a world in which differences are celebrated.
· Our mission is to create a safe, affirming environment where each person is accepted for who they are.
· Our common bond is the love of music and performing arts.
· We use our passion and the power of music to inspire all to celebrate the differences in our homes, communities and the world.
For more info go to: https://www.diverseharmony.org/#About
Diverse Harmony (DH) is a 501(c)(3) organization governed by an all-volunteer Board of Directors. All musical activities are under the leadership of the Artistic Director, including auditions, rehearsal preparation, and repertoire selection for DH (full chorus ages 13-22) and Spectrum (small ensemble (ages 21 - 29).
Qualifications and Desired Skills:
· Strong management and leadership skills
· Strong musical skills and experience conducting; BA in Music or Performing Arts preferred
· Familiarity with a variety of musical styles-traditional to contemporary
· Knowledge of, and experience in the technical aspect of stage production
· Experience working effectively with youth
· Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate respectfully and effectively with youth, parents, performers and community
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
· Strong organizational skills with ability to think strategically and implement plans
· Demonstrated ability to lead and work with wider arts and youth communities
· Commitment to support the Mission and Vision of Diverse Harmony
- Attends monthly Board meetings as an ex-officio board member
- Provides monthly Artistic Director reports to the Board of Directors
- Communicates well with the Board and works collaboratively to balance artistic goals with established budget.
· This position involves working closely with gay, straight, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth aged 13-22. The ideal candidate must be comfortable in this environment.
· Ability to inspire, motivate and evoke enthusiasm in chorus members
· Teaching experience is preferred, particularly involving high-school or middle-school-aged youth.
· Theatre experience or teaching is preferred.
· The candidate must be able to adequately represent the organization in outreach, fund-raising, and similar venues.
· The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and self-directed, able to operate with little direct continuing oversight.
· Rehearsals last for 2 ½ hours on Tuesdays (DH) and 2 ½ hours every other Monday (Spectrum). There may be occasional extra rehearsals on other nights or on weekends. The candidate must be able to support this schedule.
- Other rehearsals, auditions, meetings, etc. as scheduled
· The goal for the group is two major concerts each year, with occasional “run-outs” involving additional performances. Diverse Harmony/Spectrum will be performing at GALA during July of 2020, and participates in each year’s Seattle Pride parade. The candidate must be able to support this schedule.
· Diverse Harmony and Spectrum rehearse at 1111 Harvard Avenue (Capitol Hill) in Seattle. Board meetings are also held here.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
· Cover letter
· Names, position and contact information of three professional references
Candidates will be required to meet with and audition for DH and Spectrum for 1 hour during which time the candidate will rehearse and conduct a piece of your own choosing with our accompanist.
The candidate will undergo a background check with the Washington State Police.
Priority will be given to applicants who submit by September 15th, 2018.
Submit materials and questions to: email@example.com