2211 East Jefferson Avenue
Lead Union Organizer
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant, and environmental justice! We are now hiring a Lead Organizer to work on exciting campaigns to organize new workers in Detroit, MI. This position will require extensive travel.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
● Effectively lead a team of organizers to plan and implement new worker organizing campaigns.
● Coordinate with research and communications teams to develop campaign strategies.
● Recruit and develop the leadership ability of workplace leaders and worker committees.
● Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to low-wage workers.
● Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
● Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
● Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
● Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
● Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
● Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
● Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
● Capacity to work independently and with a team.
● The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
● Sharp communications skills.
● Basic writing and computer skills.
● The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
● Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits.
● Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
● A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
● Fluency in a second language is a plus.
● A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
● Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
● Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
● Car allowance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter at http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigc3axq9