Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in several fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC, Silver Spring, MD and Fairfax, VA.
WHY YOU WANT Staff Attorney, (Domestic Violence/Family Law Program)
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
· In seeing communities where all immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States.
· In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
· That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
· That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
· That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THE STAFF ATTORNEY JOB ENTAIL?
· Provide legal representation and advice in civil protection orders and family law cases (child custody, child support and divorce) in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia;
· Advocate on behalf of clients in related criminal matters;
· Stay current on relevant laws and policies by attending trainings and conferences and reviewing changes to laws, policies and court rules and procedures;
· Represent Ayuda at local coalition meetings and participate in local and national advocacy initiatives;
· Train area service providers and government agencies, including law enforcement;
· Conduct outreach presentations to potential clients and partner agencies;
· Collaborate with Ayuda’s Social Services and Immigration staff to ensure the provision of holistic services;
· Assist with preparation of grant applications and reports.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THE STAFF ATTORNEY JOB?
Eligibility: Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain proper work authorization throughout employment. Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
· Fluency in Spanish or demonstrated cultural competency when working with immigrant populations strongly preferred. Other languages commonly spoken by our clients in DC include, but are not limited to, Urdu, Amharic, Arabic, and French.
· Strong legal, organizational and time-management skills.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse, multidisciplinary team.
· Legal experience in family law or domestic violence/protective order law.
· Experience working with low-income immigrants or survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault or other trauma.
· Demonstrated commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
STAFF ATTORNEY SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary is commensurate with experience, consistent with Ayuda’s attorney salary scale, ranging from $57,000 for recent law school graduates to $66,000 for attorneys with two years’ relevant experience or $69,000 for attorneys with three years’ relevant experience. Ayuda’s robust benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, life and AD&D insurance as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays are observed, and Ayuda offers paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Employees with federal student loan debt may be eligible to apply for Public Service Loan Forgiveness through the Department of Education. For more information, go to https://myfedloan.org/borrowers/special-programs/pslf.
Additionally, the DC Bar Foundation’s Loan Repayment Assistance Program provides renewable one-year, interest-free, forgivable loans up to $12,000 per year for qualified Ayuda attorneys. For more information, see https:/dcbarfoundation.org/lrap/.
TO APPLY FOR THE STAFF ATTORNEY (Domestic Violence/Family Law Program)
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT:
Ayuda is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We believe that a diversity of experiences, opinions, and backgrounds is integral to achieving our mission and vision. We celebrate diversity and seek to leverage the passion, energy, and ideas of a culturally diverse team.
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since…
Fluency in Spanish or demonstrated cultural competency when working with immigrant populations strongly preferred. Other languages commonly spoken by our clients in DC include, but are not limited to, Urdu, Amharic, Arabic, and French.
Fluency in Spanish or demonstrated cultural competency when working with immigrant populations strongly preferred. Other languages commonly spoken by our clients in DC…