108-25 62nd Drive
Borough of Queens
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
SALARY: Low - Mid 50’s K; commensurate w/ experience; excellent benefits
SCHEDULE: M-F 9:00 am-5:00 pm w/ additional prep, meeting and training time; schedule may vary as needed depending on time of the year.
YOUTH EMPLOYMENT SERVICES COORDINATOR
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, cost-effective management, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
The Youth Employment Services (YES) Department has a wide array of services for youth and young adults 14-24 years of age. Young people are connected with job training, internship/employment placements and skill development for preparation in the workforce. The Youth Employment Services Department is comprised of the following program areas:
- Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP): SYEP provides youth between the ages of 14 and 24 with paid summer employment for up to six weeks in July and August.
- Work, Learn, & Grow Employment Program (WLG): WLG is a City Council-funded initiative designed to build off of the experiences gained in the Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Neighborhood Intergenerational Chore and Errand Program (NICE): A year-round employment program for high school students. The youth workers are trained to work with older adults.
- Queens NDA Opportunity Youth Program: A 14-week employment program for out-of-school and unemployed 16 to 24-year-olds who live in Queens.
We are seeking a qualified Youth Employment Services Coordinator who will perform a variety of administrative and supervisory duties. The Youth Employment Services Coordinator is a integral team member to our overall Youth Employment Services and works to collaborate and refer across the unit and department. The Youth Employment Services Coordinator serves as a key member of QCH’s Youth Employment Services Department team as the first to interface with the New York City Department of Youth and Community Development, participants, community members and employers; exemplifying a professional demeanor, communicating effectively, and providing appropriate coaching to staff and participants. The program goals include: developing young peoples’ work readiness and social and job skills, providing safe work environments, adhering to agency policies and procedures, providing integral support services across program units and managing programmatic recordkeeping.
- Outreach and enroll participants into the Youth Employment Services at QCH Programs.
- Identify and develop appropriate worksites and internships for participants; conduct visits to support placements.
- Assist and supervise staff in the development of work readiness skills and resumes by program participants.
- Conduct workshops and trainings for the development of staff and participants.
- Supervise program staff; coach on program guidelines and policies and maintaining contract compliance (relevant paperwork from worksites and participants).
- Submit reports and collect required data accordingly.
- Implement and oversee participant disciplinary and safety procedures.
- Responsible for the facilitation of data entry into participant databases and payroll/ attendance systems.
- Represent the QCH Youth Employment Services Programs at meetings, events, and other functions.
- Meet regularly and collaborate with QCH Youth Employment Services Director to create and implement various program budgets.
- Maintain communication with Director of Youth Employment Services informing of programmatic changes and/or issues that affect operations or onsite safety.
- Ensure timely responsiveness to communication, scheduling and all other operational duties of office.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- B.A. in Education, Social Work, or Youth Development or related field.
- Minimum of two years of experience in youth development or work readiness programs.
- Flexibility in schedule and some evenings/weekends will be necessary.
- Computer literate and competency in MS Word, Excel and Publisher.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong customer-service orientation, multi-tasker and able to earn trust and credibility.
- Strong supervisory, collaboration and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Bilingual preferred.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn generous annual leave and sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Youth Employment Services Coordinator” at email@example.com.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER v DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education Required