Details: salary commensurate with experience.
218 S. Wabash
UNITE HERE Local 1 represents more than 15,000 hospitality workers in the Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana. We are a union of housekeepers, lunchroom attendants, cooks, bartenders, bellmen, servers, and dishwashers.
UNITE HERE Local 1 is seeking a progressive-minded individual with a background in communications, public relations, journalism, or marketing in the Chicago area.
The Communications Specialist will lead the overall strategy for print and electronic communications, including social media, print and communications and message ideas for each level of the organization. He or she will be responsible for maintaining external communications from a press, member, and brand perspective in alignment with overall organizational goals. : A successful candidate will grow this position into a Director’s role, which would include ability to expand the Communications team
Social Media & Content
Social media will be the primary focus for the Communications Specialist. Therefore, he/she must have creative instincts and a deep knowledge of popular and emerging social media and technology platforms, in addition to text messaging. He/she will oversee all current social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram with an eye toward creating accounts on other platforms. ,Pinterest, Snapchat, Tumblr, and Google+. This includes developing engagement and retention plans for each channel, ensuring account setup, claiming and security, and creating targeted messaging for each channel.
Draft content for UNITE HERE Local 1’s website, email campaigns, and publications and newsletters,
Liaise with local and national media, including developing press releases and alerts, pitch story ideas, and handle requests for interviews, statements etc.
Help organize initiatives and plan events or press conferences.
Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and organizational and personal sales skills.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Computer literacy in word processing, database management, page layout and design.
- Experience in web design and content production is a plus
- Working knowledge of MS Office; photo and video-editing software is an asset
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
- Outstanding organizational and planning abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, political science, journalism or other related field
- Experience managing projects, such as social media campaigns, from concept to completion
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Strong creative instincts and judgment
- Strong writing skills
- Expertise in social media and graphic design
- Able to both think strategically and dig in to the minutiae of a creative campaign
- Able to interact and communicate with a wide variety of personalities
- Experience working for or with labor unions or labor organizations a plus, but not required
We have a competitive benefits package with competitive salary, vacation, holidays, health care, dental, pension, and legal plan benefit.
Level of Language Proficiency
Strong reference for bilingual candidates English/Spanish; spoken and written
Minimum Education Required