Tutor College Bound Students in Foster Care (Full-Time) / College Bound Tutor (Full-Time)
- Job posted by The New York Foundling
Region: Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens
The New York Foundling (“The Foundling”) is currently seeking patient, caring, engaging individuals with outstanding academic backgrounds to join our dedicated team of full-time tutors in our College Bound tutoring program.
The Foundling’s College Bound tutoring program connects 11th and 12th graders and TASC students in foster care with long-term one-on-one tutors who will assist them in completing their requirements to graduate high school, applying for colleges, and preparing for college-level coursework. Tutors work with students in their homes and offer support across every major subject area where their students need help.
College Bound tutors receive training in pedagogy and in working with young people in the foster care system, as well as ongoing support during weekly office days. We are committed to growing and developing our in-house tutoring programs and offer opportunities for advancement for exceptional tutors.
- Provide weekly one-on one tutoring sessions in foster homes to 15-20 high school juniors and seniors
- Assist students with all high school subject areas.
- Prepare students to take SAT and Regents exams.
- Assist students with college applications
- Submit session feedback after weekly meetings with each student
- Engage in group discussions around identifying and troubleshooting specific student issues, developing new methods for engaging students, and teaching various types of content.
Education and Requirements:
- BA degree
- Experience working with young adults in an academic setting and/ or demonstrated ability to provide outstanding instruction to high school students in foster care
- Proficient in or able to quickly learn a wide range of high school academic subjects
- Willing and able to travel extensively to foster homes throughout an assigned region of New York City and to other boroughs as needed.
- Previous tutoring experience preferred
- Candidates who are bilingual in Spanish are particularly encouraged to apply
Minimum Education Required