2100 24th Avenue South, Suite 360
MISSION: Rainier Scholars cultivates the academic potential and leadership skills of hard-working, low-income students of color. By creating access to transformative educational opportunities and providing comprehensive support to scholars and families, we increase college graduation rates and empower new generations of leaders.
ORGANIZATION: Rainier Scholars is a comprehensive academic enrichment program that supports determined students of color over a 12-year journey – from 5th grade to college graduation. We seek to serve those who are most under-represented on college campuses and have the greatest number of barriers to achieving a college education: 85% qualify as low-income, 90% would be the first in their family to earn a college degree. Our four-phase program offers rigorous academics, leadership development and personalized support for scholars, providing access to educational pathways and myriad opportunities previously unimagined. By embracing our core values of Excellence, Perseverance, Integrity and Courage, our scholars propel themselves beyond what they and others ever deemed possible. We grow new generations of diverse college graduates, career professionals, and community leaders. As a relatively young organization with a budget size of $4.2 million, a staff team of 33 FTE and over 700 scholars and families whom we currently serve, Rainier Scholars has established a positive brand for our unwavering commitment to education, proven success rate, and sustainable impact.
SUMMARY: The Career Programs Manager (CPM) collaborates with the Director of College Support to coordinate the career development program for scholars enrolled in college and RS alumni. The CPM plays a key role in our organization by helping scholars explore career options and preparing them to pursue employment or further education following college graduation. This position works with staff across Rainier Scholars in fostering student awareness and exploration of varied career opportunities and pathways. The CPM provides oversight for our college internship program. The CPM supervises one staff member, the Career Services Coordinator.
· Provide career development and job search counseling to College Support scholars, with a special emphasis on graduating seniors and RS alumni.
· Disseminate information to students regarding career fields, employment opportunities and graduate school information.
· Help college students to develop a post-graduation career plan that includes but is not limited to: resume review, mock interviews, application assistance, graduate program information and review of job offers.
· Guide current college students & RS alumni in developing their professional networks and cultivating mentor relationships.
· Develop and facilitate career development workshops for our scholars.
- Manage the C3 (College Career Connections) program which provides mentorship and informational interviewing opportunities for college students.
- Provide oversight for our college internship program, which offers summer opportunities in a variety of professional settings for college students.
- Establish new partnerships and foster existing relationships with public, private and nonprofit entities to support college student placement into internships in areas of career interests.
- Build relationships with college/university administrators, corporate recruiters, and current/prospective internship providers.
- Supervise the Career Services Coordinator.
- Participate as a member of the College Support team to assist our students in successfully navigating the college experience.
- Assess and evaluate programs for effectiveness, using data to inform decision-making and report key outcomes.
- Work across phases to help actualize aspects of our strategic plan that are related to the development of Career Pathways for scholars.
The successful candidate will be able to:
· Demonstrate strong understanding of business/corporate sector and public/non-profit sector employment/internship requirements.
· Prioritize projects effectively, take initiative, demonstrate resourcefulness, and respond flexibly to changing work demands.
· Demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills, and attention to detail.
· Show exceptional judgment and integrity, including maintaining confidentiality as appropriate.
· Demonstrate a professional presence, strong interpersonal skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills (including public speaking).
· Demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment.
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
· Effective counseling and advising skills, and experience developing and presenting workshops.
· Demonstrated ability in internship, networking and career placement planning.
· Demonstrated ability to build relationships with business, nonprofit, and community leaders.
· Experience working effectively with diverse populations of college students.
· Master’s degree
· 3-5 years experience in career planning and employment services, including direct career counseling.
· Staff supervision experience
DESCRIPTION: 40 hours/week, salary dependent on experience, benefits included. While most work is performed during regular office hours, some weekend and evening work is required. Int
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume and list of references to:
Attn: Hiring, Career Programs Manager
2100 24th Ave. S., Suite 360
Seattle, WA 98144
Office: (206) 407-2118 / Fax: (206) 407-2112 / E-mail: email@example.com
Please specify in your cover letter how you learned of this position.
Rainier Scholars is an equal opportunity employer.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED