The academic operations associate (AOA) supports the instructional team to ensure that they have the materials and tools needed for meeting Ascend's academic goals. The AOA trains and supports staff on our student and academic data software systems, ensures that assessments are administered and data is captured, and that academic materials are purchased and available in the classroom.
Why extraordinary educators work at Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across 10 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Visit our website to learn more about the Ascend approach.<img src="https://rs.careerliaison.com/pixel/26296kqm7jxnfdt6"><img src="https://analytics.click2apply.net/vzBleJwsGM8YgT4apIADab">
The academic operations associate will work under the direction of the director of operations to support the highest quality of instruction and accelerate scholars' learning. Additionally, the academic operations assistant will:
- Ensure that all schools in the network tap the full potential of the Infinite Campus student information system and the Illuminate academic data system, by working on the setting up of the new systems; training staff; and instituting protocols to ensure system-wide consistency in use
- Support the director of operations and school-based staff on how to use Illuminate's grade book and how to set up and generate progress reports, report cards and transcripts.
- Ensure that all required curricular materials (e.g., textbooks, workbooks, or science kits) are purchased, delivered to schools and placed in classrooms
- Inventory academic materials at the schools on a regular basis
- Support the instructional team in ensuring that assessments are ordered, administered and data is captured into academic data systems
- Work with the director of operations on other operational projects and initiatives as needed
Staff and reporting relationships
The operations associate reports to the director of operations.
- Bachelor's degree
- Instructional elementary or middle school experience a plus
- Charter school experience preferred
- Very strong computer skills, including fluency with Microsoft Excel, and preferably experience with Microsoft Access
- Effective communication skills in speaking and writing
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills and thorough attention to detail
- A very strong work ethic and a sense of urgency
- Ability to work under pressure and tight timetables
- Ability to self-manage in a highly professional work environment, which requires interfacing with constituencies at the network and schools levels
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks of varying complexity and to stay organized in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Academic Operations Associate