Food Connection Senior Manager
750 Curtner Ave.
About Second Harvest Food Bank
Looking for mission-driven work? Based in Silicon Valley, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties is one of the largest food banks in the nation. Currently providing food to more than one quarter of a million people every month, Second Harvest is a trusted community-based organization that was founded in 1974. Despite the immense wealth in Silicon Valley, and partly due to the high cost of living, hunger and malnutrition are pervasive. The Food Bank distributes nutritious food, including more fresh produce than any other food bank in the country, through a network of nearly 320 nonprofit partners at more than 850 sites. Second Harvest is pursuing innovative efforts to increase access to food resources as it seeks to feed an additional 100,000 hungry people each month. To reach more people, it advocates for anti-hunger policies and connects those in need to federal nutrition programs and other food resources. To learn more about how Second Harvest is building a hunger-free community, visit www.SHFB.org.
About the Position
The Food Connection Senior Manager provides overall management for CalFresh/SNAP outreach efforts, identifies challenges and opportunities our robust Food Connection team can address. This position is responsible for managing a multi-lingual team to meet the organizational goals of increasing participation in the CalFresh Program (Food Stamps/SNAP) and Food Bank food programs to help alleviate food insecurity in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties. This position provides support, training, coaching and supervision to Santa Clara County outreach staff, volunteers and placements and develop their skills and abilities so they are increasingly more effective in reaching community members in need of food assistance. The Senior Manager develops CalFresh and outreach related projects, provides oversight to development and implementation of outreach plans, establishes and monitors performance standards, and interfaces with peers in similar organizations to learn best practices. This position is responsible for leveraging community and Food Bank partners to conduct outreach and application assistance with their clients and for leading the outreach team in Santa Clara County. The Senior Manager is also the liaison with Santa Clara County Social Service Agency relating to application procedures, outcome reports and improving access throughout the county.
This job might be for you if:
• You are passionate about food security for all
• You like coaching and developing staff and have experience doing so in an outreach or sales organization
• You are an extrovert and enjoy public speaking and building relationships between organizations
• You are a skilled project manager with experience leading multiple staff towards the same goals and
• You are creative, entrepreneurial and like trying new strategies.
• You have experience with public benefits either as a recipient or as a service provider
• You like solving problems and typically use data and research to inform recommendations
• Five to eight years of applicable work experience preferably as a leader within an outreach or sales team, including two or more years of people-management experience.
• Demonstrated ability with project management and ability to organize, plan and lead a team to carry out activities to meet specific objectives.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work and interact constructively with individuals from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds (clients, Food Bank and Partner organization staff at all levels of the organizations, and volunteers) in a culturally diverse work environment. Sensitivity to, and empathy with, the needs of economically and educationally under-resourced individuals.
• Demonstrated ability to apply education, experience and data analysis to improve and or implement new processes/projects/programs and solve problems. Experience with research, data analysis, and program evaluation.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited college in social services, public administration, community studies, urban studies or a directly related field; experience may be substituted on a year-to-year basis.
• Bi-lingual in English and Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese or Russian (preferred but not required).
• Experience administering or working with public benefits programs (preferred but not required).
Salary commensurate with background and experience. Outstanding and generous health and dental benefits program, Flexible Time Off (FTO) starting at 200 hours/year, ten paid holidays, and retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required