Resource Development Specialist at Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven
- Job posted by NeighborWorks Affiliates
333 Sherman Avenue
Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven (NHS) is a non-profit agency that positions neighborhoods to succeed by increasing homeownership; providing pre- and post-purchase homebuyer education and financial coaching; making homes beautiful, energy-efficient, and affordable; and helping residents take charge of their neighborhoods. We are a member of the national NeighborWorks® America Network.
The Resource Development Specialist is responsible for identifying and securing new grant opportunities, event sponsorships, and in-kind donations to fund/support the programs and initiatives at Neighborhood Housing Services. The ideal candidate will have excellent writing and interpersonal skills and be organized, assertive, outgoing, and professional. The Resource Development Specialist will work closely with the Communications and Development Manager to reach funding goals and develop strategies for donor engagement.
Job Dutites and Responsibilities
Grant Writing and Management
- Develop and maintain a grant application calendar, including submission and reporting deadlines
- Develop, write, and edit government, foundation, and corporate grant proposals, applications, and reports according to guidelines, with particular attention to each funder's unique priorities.
- Identify new opportunities and conduct research and analysis on current and prospective funding; provide recommendations, and strategize with the Communications and Development Manager to approach potential funders.
- Meet or exceed annual goals for revenue and number of applications submitted.
- Identify and develop strategies to optimize the grants administration process.
- Provide regular reports to leadership and program staff, as well as responding to emerging inquiries, including monthly tracking and forecasting grant payouts.
- Oversee the implementation of the grants to ensure that they are in compliance with donor requirements and that they meet the operational and financial needs of the organization.
- Keep the appropriate staff members informed about upcoming deadlines and deliverables, thereby ensuring smooth completion of work responsibilities.
- Collaborate with the finance department on invoicing, accounting, reporting, and other administrative functions to ensure successful execution of grant process.
- Collaborate with the finance department on budget plans and allocation in accordance with each requirement.
- Collaborate with departments to provide detailed reports to the funders and management with respect to the organization's progress.
- Regular review of records of all payments, receivables, and monthly records for all grant-related activities with the Director of Finance.
- Provide training to appropriate staff on grants management and reporting requirements.
Donor Relations & Systems Management
- Working with the Communications and Development Manager, identify, approach, and secure prospective and existing sponsors and other strategic funding sources for events and programs.
- Take part in planning and implementing events; pre-determine event-specific sponsorship, partnership, and marketing needs and ensure that they are met.
- Assist the Communications and Development Manager with duties relating to annual campaigns and other mass-mailings.
- Maintain databases and use Salesforce to track funding sources and create monthly reports to deliver to the Board of Directors.
- Ensure accurate and timely donor recognition; prepare and deliver post-event sponsor reports and thank-you letters.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to link the organization’s mission and program objectives with funders’ interests and priorities.
- Professional, diplomatic, and mature manner with an ability to interact effectively with senior executives; assertive and energetic personality with strong interpersonal skills, and camaraderie among colleagues on staff.
- Highly organized with a proven ability to manage multiple projects with high degree of efficiency while meeting deadlines.
- Strong written communications skills.
- Sound business judgment; ability to work independently as needed to deal with rapidly changing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Passion for mission-driven work.
- Respect for and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in English, Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, or a related field is required, plus two (2) or more years’ experience in grant writing and/or fundraising.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Prior experience with Salesforce a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to:
James A. Paley, Executive Director
Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven, Inc.
No calls please!
Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We strongly encourage people of color and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.