Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area Program Coordinator
- Job posted by Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts
Details: $20/hr at 25 hrs/week for 45 weeks per year
610 Main Street
Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area (LVMont) seeks an energetic, poised individual with excellent communication and interpersonal skills to coordinate the Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts (LVM) program in the Montachusett Area, which provides free, private, individualized and confidential tutoring to adults in basic reading and writing, and English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
The ideal candidate for this position will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, a mature interpersonal style, a positive and enthusiastic attitude and a sense of humor. The candidate must be able to exercise excellent judgment and discretion with confidential and/or sensitive materials, provide excellent customer service, be a problem-solver and be compassionate in interpersonal dealings. We are seeking a dedicated person who sees helping others as a vocation more than as a job.
This position is an exciting, hands-on opportunity to work with community volunteers, college interns and the state's leading volunteer adult literacy organization. LVMont welcomes applicants who are recent college graduates or experienced professionals returning to the work force. The LVMont office is located in the Fitchburg Public Library in Fitchburg, MA.
The position is immediately available.
LVMont, a nonprofit organization established in 1973, provides free, individualized and confidential tutoring to adults in basic reading and writing, and ESOL in the Montachusett Area. LVMont is an affiliate of Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts, the state’s leading provider of basic literacy and ESOL tutoring for adults with a network of 12 programs across the state that serves approximately 1,000 adults each year. Please visit http://www.lvmonta.org/ for more information on the organization.
Summary of Responsibilities:
1. Meet targeted annual goals for number of students served, attendance hours and student progress.
2. Manage volunteer and student outreach and recruitment.
3. Coordinate volunteer orientations, training and placement.
4. Conduct student intake interviews and assessments.
5. Provide ongoing support to tutor/student pairs, including but not limited to monthly contact, in-service trainings, open houses, a newsletter, use of social media, a reference/lending library and individual consultations.
6. Maintain accurate tutor/student records and submit required reports and monthly data in a timely way.
7. Attend all LVM statewide program coordinators' meetings and trainings, and additional professional development opportunities.
8. Assist in the LVMont Board of Directors where needed.
9.Implement Board approved policies and activities, and ensure compliance with grantors’ financial, reporting and program requirements.
10.Represent LVMont in the community and with other local organizations.
Summary of Qualifications:
1. Minimum B.A. degree required.
2. Experience in adult basic education, ESOL, nonprofits or volunteer programs desirable.
3. Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
4. Demonstrated organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to implement programs.
5. Ability to work with diverse groups.
6. Ability to work independently and as part of a staff team.
7. A genuine interest in promoting adult literacy and compassion for the struggles of adult learners.
8. Willingness to work flexible hours, some evenings and weekends required.
9. Reliable access to a working automobile and a valid Massachusetts driver's license required.
10. Excellent internet and computer skills required. Social media and desktop publishing skills are desirable. Knowledge of QuickBooks is helpful.
No benefits are provided.
Level of Language Proficiency
The equivalent of native-level proficiency in reading, writing and speaking English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to Fitchburg Coordinator Search, Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts, 8 Faneuil Hall Marketplace, 3rd floor, Boston, MA 02109.
Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Initial interviews will be conducted in Boston. The position is located in Fitchburg, MA.