75 Maiden Lane
Barbershop Books, winner of the National Book Foundation's 2017 Innovations in Reading Prize and the premiere literacy program of Reading Holiday Project, Inc., has an exciting paid opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual who desires real-world experience in the nonprofit sector. We're seeking a tech fellow with a passion for coding, educational technology, and app development.
Did you know? According to the US Dept of Education, more than 85% of black male 4th graders aren’t proficient in reading. That’s where Barbershop Books comes in. We create child-friendly reading spaces in barbershops and train barbers to support early literacy in barbershops across the United States. Our mission is to help young black boys identify as readers by connecting books and reading to a male-centered space and by involving men in boys’ early reading experiences.
Barbershop Books has been featured on NPR, CNN, Black Enterprise Magazine, The Today Show, and CBS. The IT Manager will work directly with the Executive Director of Reading Holiday Project, Inc. and collaborate with other Barbershop Books team members.
Compensation: $450 per month
Responsibilities: 10-15 hours per week (set your own schedule and work remotely).
- Maintain the Barbershop Books website
- Analyze UX and functionality of website
- Support website design and development
- Identify and implement web-based applications to address organizational and program needs or challenges
- Support implementation of digital strategy and overall marketing plan
- Collaborate with digital strategist and other team members to address IT related needs
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelors degree in computer science or related experience. A demonstrated interest in education is a big plus.
- Passionate about education
- Comfortable managing multiple tasks and working independently
- Flexible and creative
- Thrive in fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Strong sense of ownership – you do everything you can to ensure your projects succeed
- Team player
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter, and 2 references to Alvin Irby, firstname.lastname@example.org