1065 Sutter Street
Since 1971, Raphael House has been at the forefront of providing homeless and low-income families in the San Francisco Bay Area the personalized family-centered solutions they need to build brighter futures. Raphael House is a 100% privately funded and community-supported organization. Our success rate is unmatched: more than 85% of all Raphael House families go on to achieve long-term housing and financial stability.
Diverse, caring, and creative, Raphael House’s staff are skilled thinkers and problem solvers, and they’re always willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done. Raphael House employees are inspired by the organization’s mission both professionally and personally, and each is developed as a collaborative leader and crucial contributor to strengthening families in the community. Through their work, Raphael House is able to consistently deliver unmatched results: 85% of all Raphael House families go on to achieve long-term stable housing and financial independence.
Reporting to and in collaboration with the Director of Development, the Marketing Communications Manager provides leadership for the overall vision and strategy, and manages the execution, of Raphael House’s internal and external marketing and communications functions. This includes the production of all organizational media: video, photo, digital communications and printed collateral. The Marketing Communications Manager is also responsible for defining and refining all communication, marketing and media analytics to help establishing continual avenues of growth. The Marketing Communications Manager is responsible for creating and managing the organization’s relationship with the media as well as identifying and facilitating opportunities with corporate and community entities to establish marketing or cross promotional partnerships. The Marketing Communications Manager serves as a liaison between Raphael House staff, board, and the media, working closely with program staff to ensure that all media or cross-promotional opportunities involving Raphael House families are carried out in an ethical manner that prioritizes the dignity, protection, and privacy of each client. The Marketing Communications Manager also works to protect the integrity of the organization’s image and branding by approving all official marketing materials and usage of Raphael House logo by partner organizations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Communications and Marketing:
Key Responsibilities for Communications:
- Develop and implement strategies that will help grow our social media engagement and including managing the day-to-day execution of social media messaging, content and media.
- Manage and facilitate all aspects of the organization’s e-communications and digital marketing, including social media, email, and e-newsletters.
- Create content and write copy for all marketing collateral including, but not limited to newsletters, appeal letters, direct mail, annual reports, website, social media and event media.
- Development and implementation of comprehensive outbound marketing campaigns designed to generate leads and increase brand awareness. This includes but is not limited to press releases, editorial placement, e-mail marketing campaigns, social media campaigns as well as digital & print ads.
- Manage and facilitate all aspects of the organization’s direct mail and print materials including all marketing materials, appeal campaign letters and organizational newsletters & publications.
- Develop and oversee calendars for targeted digital communications and social media engagement designed to reach specific segmented demographics.
- Manage cross media calendar for the scheduling, proofing and implementation of all print collateral required to support our organization’s cyclical publication needs.
- Manage and maintain all aspects of the organization’s website, social media and third party fundraising sites, ensuring that all content is current, brand standards are consistent, and that the site functions smoothly and effectively.
- Use web analytics to monitor, report on and make recommendations for improvements to our organization’s website, social media, email, and e-newsletters.
Communication Specific Responsibilities:
- Video & Media Production:Able to shoot, edit and produce basic media clips for use with our social media, website and organizational presentations.
- Images:Able to shoot organizational photography with a core understanding of lighting, composition and an overall esthetic; with the ability to edit images digitally to meet overall industry production standards.
- Design:Creates, designs and edits all production aspects of Raphael House’s newsletters, annual reports, brochures, factsheets, and other marketing/fundraising materials in house.
- Written Copy:responsible for the creation, editing and formatting all outward-facing organizational written copy including all letters, spotlights, appeals, newsletters, event materials, plus all organizational printed and digital marketing materials.
- Social Media:in charge of posting content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube to ensure organizational adherence to best practices for the medium, is consistent with approved messaging and branding guidelines, and reflects the integrity of Raphael House. Also responsible for researching, calendaring, and building a social media roadmap to involve targeting audience, objectives, strategy, tactics, tools/technology and metrics in order to support the fundraising calendar of our organization and the objectives of our yearly operating plan goals.
- Website:responsible for content creation, cultivation, updates and roadmap development to ensure our website meets the needs of our organization’s communication goals and marketing standards by continuing to find ways to enhance and fine-tune functions and track effectiveness.
- Print:schedules and manages all printing and publication projects from conception to distribution to ensure that they are produced and distributed on time and on budget.
- Email:Creates, schedules and manages all email content and cultivated mailing lists in order to support the cyclical campaign activities of our organization.
- Direct Mail:Creates, schedules and manages all direct mail content, publication and mailing distribution activities.
- Strategic Planning:In collaboration with Executive Director, Director of Development, and marketing and communications committee creates and manages a comprehensive communications and marketing plan for maximizing public awareness of Raphael House.
- Analytics:monitors metrics for web, social media, and email marketing, to identify new and enhanced strategies for maximizing their effectiveness in increasing donations and overall engagement.
- Messaging:refines and enhances organizational messaging and branding as needed as well as maintains and manages updates to Raphael House’s Style Guide and ensures that the integrity and standards of Raphael House’s brand and identity are maintained internally and externally.
- Media Cultivation:cultivates and develop and relationships with key media contacts to enhance collaborative working relationships within the press and publicity community and key influencers that will help drive our organization’s goal of becoming broadly recognized as a leading model for the prevention of family homelessness and poverty.
- Manage and facilitate communications to the media, including preparing articles, press kits, press releases, and other content initiatives.
- Public Relations:advises and supports Executive Director and program leadership in public relations, identifying and managing potential media opportunities, speaking engagements, or other opportunities for partnering with high-profile influencers in the community while Provide talking points and training to appropriate staff, volunteers for media engagement across all media formats.
- Serves in a leadership role for Raphael House Marketing & Communications Committee.
- Collaborates with program and other Raphael House staff to identify stories to tell via RH blog and social media and/or pitch to the media.
- Support the Events and Corporate Sponsorship Manager in contacting marketing or other appropriate departments for corporate sponsorship of high-end philanthropic events such as the Gala.
- Collaborates with Volunteer Coordinator and development intern in identifying PR opportunities in conjunction with existing or new volunteer programs/relations.
- Leverages corporate relationships to increase visibility for Raphael House via their internal communications channels (newsletter, website, social media, video etc.)
- Collaborates with Development Department Staff to identify opportunities for using story telling channels (social media, blog, etc.) in order to strengthen relationships with current or potential funders.
- Develops pitches/proposals for new or existing corporate partners to partner with RH on cross promotional opportunities, such as cause marketing, social media sponsorship, or partnerships that heighten visibility and reinforce a positive image of Raphael House as an effective leader in helping families achieve brighter futures, and as relevant, directly or indirectly lead to funding or significant cost savings for the organization.
- In partnership with the Development team, Coordinate and conduct RH tours with corporate representatives. Help fill Community Luncheon tables with potential donors and volunteers.
- Supports corporate needs of the Gala and other events including corporate ticket sales and other duties as assigned.
- Help maintain contact data in Raiser’s Edge data base and be willing to assist with data input and report generation when need.
Other/ Annual Events
- Supervises the Development Department Marketing intern.
- Develops budgets that relate to areas for which primary responsibility is assigned; monitor costs to ensure that expenses stay within approved budgets.
- Give tours to prospective donors when needed.
- Responsible for the timely distribution of all organizational event and campaign marketing and informational materials.
- Attend all organizational fundraising events to ensure that all social media and post event recognition content is captured and distributed in a timely fashion.
- Extensive experience in strategic public relations and marketing in a nonprofit or institutional setting.
- Excellent writing, editing, and public speaking skills.
- Basic competency in graphic design and print production, using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience working with printers, designers, vendors, and in managing budgets for print projects.
- Supervisory experience.
- Ability to motivate and work well with volunteers, including Board of Directors.
- Ability to work under pressure, stay flexible and maintain sense of humor.
- Experience with corporate fundraising a plus.
- A Bachelor's degree is required in either public relations and or marketing; with a minimum of 3 years’ experience.
- At least 2 years of experience in fundraising or community relations, with a proven track record of meeting or exceeding goals.
- Proficient in using Adobe Creative Cloud: InDesign, Publisher, Photoshop & Premiere or similar software.
- Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Sensitivity and understanding of the issues around homelessness and an understanding of the mission of Raphael House.
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends and/or longer hours. Ability to lift 20-30 lbs.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Full-time employee benefits include: medical, dental, and vision coverage; three weeks accrued vacation days plus 10 paid holidays and 10 accrued sick days; EAP program; Flexible Spending Account; and commuter benefits. Raphael House supports a work/life balance for its employees and offers flexible work options.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required