In the past 100 years, we have gone from the Model T to the Tesla, from the switchboard to the smartphone, yet the very institution charged with preparing America’s students for success has remained virtually unchanged. Our students deserve better. It’s from that conviction – and commitment – behind XQ Super Schools. At XQ our mission is to fuel, inspire and influence America’s collective creativity to transform our public high schools so every student can succeed.
In 2015, we asked a question: “What would high school look like if all students graduated prepared to succeed in college, career and life?” We issued the largest open call to reimagine American public high school in our country’s history. Nearly 10,000 people from communities across the US responded and became school designers and school builders devoted to questioning the status quo and imagining the possibilities. To date, we have awarded $115 million to 18 Super Schools to bring their ideas to life. XQ isn’t just about ideas, it’s about enduring impact; about inspiring and amplifying meaningful, measurable solutions and real results in high schools from Connecticut to California, and every state in between. Imagine if: Students are at the center of their learning. Technology is a facilitator to understanding.
Time and space are resources, not constraints. Learning is expansive, deep, motivating. Teachers are guides and coaches who light the way. That is high school transformation.
To meet its ambitious goals, XQ Super Schools is looking for a Senior Data & Policy Analyst, who will report to XQ’s Chief Education Content Strategy Officer.
At XQ, we fuel, inspire, and influence America’s collective creativity in order to transform our high schools so every student can succeed. Our goal is to ensure high school transformation is well underway in every community in America in the next decade. If we are to succeed, our work—and our messaging—must be rooted in real data about how American young people are faring on their journey through high school and beyond.
You will acquire and analyze regularly released data sets from national and state governments, organizations, and XQ partners. You’ll work across XQ to ensure we understand the major findings, what’s behind the data, how the data may impact or inform policy, and how to best translate findings for the public to easily understand. You will also work as part of a team to understand and report on the progress taking place in XQ schools, the wider XQ community, and the emerging movement to transform high school.
XQ is a dynamic environment, and we are looking for an equally dynamic team player who is passionate about our mission, compassionate, and driven to deliver results. We are looking for someone who seeks and sees opportunities – who is both pro-active and re-active – and someone who gets excited by the power of data and policy.
The Senior Data & Policy Analyst’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Using publicly accessible federal, state and local sources, build, maintain and regularly update a
high-quality database on American high schools, high school students, and student outcomes,
both secondary and postsecondary.
• Drawing on that database, provide accurate and relevant data to support various aspects of
XQ’s work, including publications and media.
• Analyze the data in a variety of ways, identifying story lines for XQ to lift up.
• Work with XQ creative staff and consultants to make sure data are described accurately and
visualized in powerful ways.
• Identify and follow the work of both leading and up-and-coming quantitative researchers (and
research-heavy organizations) focusing on high school and post-high school success, including
those studying changing dynamics in the world of work, sharing their work, as appropriate, with
other XQ staff.
• Collaborate with others at XQ and its partners in developing metrics to monitor the
effectiveness of our work and our partners’ work.
• Conduct original research and literature reviews on education issues.
• Perform analysis of education policies and data.
• Research and track education legislation and policy proposals.
• Assist with preparation and dissemination of reports, practice tools, infographics, and other
• Develop and maintain expertise in education policy, including with respect to federal and state
policy related to high school education, school and district accountability and improvement,
college/career readiness, and student performance and progress.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
• At least 5-7 years of experience conducting policy and data analysis in education, preferably on
issues related to equity and improving opportunity and outcomes for low-income students and
students of color.
• Demonstrated experience with using data to support identify, highlight, and communicate
• Strong quantitative research skills.
• Knowledge of research methodology, evaluation, and statistics to be able to understand and
interpret the validity and significance of findings.
• Demonstrated proficiency with statistical analysis and working with large data sets using SPSS,
SAS, STATA, R, or Excel.
• Ability to translate and communicate results of analytic and research findings to diverse
• Knowledge of the federal education policy landscape and of state and district education policy
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively in developing analyses, collecting and
analyzing data, and presenting findings.
• Understanding of federal and state policy contexts that affect high school education.
• Excellent analytic and communication skills (both oral and written, and in a variety of formats
• Possession of a doctorate, master’s degree, or equivalent in education, policy, statistics, or
• Demonstrated passion for equity in education.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Ability to multitask and work independently to meet established deadlines.
• Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment.
• A commitment to the mission and goals of XQ.
• Knowledge of statistical and mapping software—including Stata and ArcGIS—is a plus.
• Government, nonprofit, or think tank experience related to education is preferred.
• XQ Institute offers competitive benefits and salary for this role.
XQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. At XQ promoting, celebrating, and supporting diversity is a core value. Individuals are considered without regard to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual expression, religion, color, veteran status, disability, marital status, or ancestry.
Minimum Education Required