Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience
20 Jay St.
About Explore Schools:
Our mission is to provide students with the academic skills and critical thinking abilities they need to succeed in a college-preparatory high school. Currently, Explore Schools supports eight charter schools in Brooklyn that serve over 2,000 students in grades K-8.
What We Believe:
- We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults
- Equity and excellence are not mutually exclusive – we can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging families and driving toward excellent academic results
About the Position:
The network-based Senior Director of Special Populations (SDSP) is responsible for providing technical guidance and dotted-line management to school-based Support Services Coordinators (SSCs). SSCs coordinate all services and instruction for all special populations, including students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), students who are classified as English Language Leaners (ELLs), and students who are struggling academically. Additionally, the SDSP will create and implement a strategy to develop school-based special populations staff and thought-partner with schools on behavioral and academic interventions for students as necessary.
- Develop and support school-based support services coordinators (SSCs) and directors, through dotted-line management.
- Create and execute a network-wide vision for providing high quality services to students with individualized education programs (IEPs), students far below grade level, and students designated as English Language Learners (ELLs). For example: oversee ELL testing and progress monitoring; oversee SPED and ELL interventions/all SPED populations; oversee the analysis of student achievement data for special populations.
- Support school-based SSCs in developing relationships with the Committee on Special Education; serve as point of escalation when the CSE is not meeting expectations.
- Oversee schools’ compliance with all applicable laws and regulations that relate to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), section 504 of the Rehabilitation act, and any other regulation or law that governs required services for special populations.
- Develop and support the implementation of a professional development scope and sequence for all special education teachers, ENL service providers, and learning specialists.
- Support schools with the execution of Response to Intervention (RTI).
- Support schools with creating behavioral intervention strategies for high needs students.
Skills and Qualities:
- Ability to influence and motivate others
- Organized with attention to detail
- Expertise in change management
- Excellent project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree in education preferred.
- At least three years of teaching experience teaching special populations, with data that shows statistically significant growth for your students.
- Two years of service coordination and track record of success for growth working with special populations preferred, or
- Three years of management and coaching teachers/teams and/or experience in school leadership
- Experience writing, implementing and overseeing IEPs, BIPs, and FBAs, leading to measurable growth and improvement
- Competitive and commensurate with experience
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply