The Children’s Museum of the Arts is seeking an experienced Director of Finance & Administration. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance & Administration plays a central and fundamental role in the daily operations of the museum and works closely with all departments.
Managing a part time bookkeeper, the successful candidate will be comfortable working in both strategic and hands-on capacities; will be a collaborative thinker and will feel comfortable working in a fast-paced environment that requires simultaneous attention to different projects and responsibilities; and will enjoy working across departments and with colleagues with varying levels of financial knowledge and experience.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee all financial operations and manage financial planning and strategy
- Oversee financial system, internal controls and record keeping; manage restricted funds release schedule, cash flow and forecasting. Prepare projections and variance reports
- Supervise the senior bookkeeper and be prepared to assist with the day-to-day accounting functions as needed, including payroll, accounts payable and receivables, journal entries, reviewing and coding invoices and expense and check requests
- Analyze balance sheet and income accounts each month. Manage general banking, securities, and checking accounts
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports for the Executive Director and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors
- Support department staff to develop and monitor program budgets for grant reporting and internal planning
- Serve as point of contact for annual organization-wide financial statement audit and preparation of the annual Form 990, working with the bookkeeper to prepare supporting schedules and providing backup documentation as requested
- Provide leadership for all HR activities including training and development, recruitment and retention, and conflict resolution
- Oversee hiring process, onboard new employees, manage complaint process for HR-related issues
- Evaluate and maintain employee handbook ensuring legal compliance and best practices in HR administration
- Manage benefits, communicate with insurance broker, track paid time off, and maintain personnel files
- Serve as primary Labor Relations Officer and provide day-to-day administration and interpretation of CMA’s collective bargaining agreement
- Coordinate year-round trainings for sexual harassment, first aid, diversity & inclusion and other applicable trainings
Administration & Operations
- Manage the IT resources and vendor relationships, including network and server infrastructure, telecommunications, telephone services, and security systems
- Manage all insurance policies for CMA and their annual review
- Maintain office equipment and supplies
- Maintain compliance for all applicable building safety codes, manage and coordinate all required inspections for all facilities equipment and operating systems as per City, State and Federal regulatory agencies
- Manage building repairs and upgrades performed by outside contractors
Qualifications and Skills
- Progressive, relevant experience in budgeting, forecasting, strategic planning, financial management and reporting
- Direct experience in managing annual nonprofit audit
- Experience with personnel practices and human resources, HRCI or SHRM certification a plus
- An effective communicator, especially of financial detail, with the ability to translate financials into clear data and arguments for guiding decision-making and innovation by staff, board members and donors
- A collaborative and flexible style; needs to be an active and engaged team player
- Experience with QuickBooks Online, Salesforce, and Paychex preferred
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or a related field or an equivalent combination of professional training and experience
Working Conditions: We are a motivated group of high-achieving and creative managers. Occasional weekend or evening hours are required of all staff. CMA is a fun and exciting place to work and there is room for promotion and growth.
This is a full time exempt position. CMA offers a competitive benefits package.