Are you a natural leader who can inspire a team with empathy, humor, and unflinching positivity? Are you passionate about economic justice and immigrant rights? Do you want to be challenged, leverage a ton of skills, have a good laugh, brainstorm a lot, get frustrated sometimes but inspired frequently, and be on the right side of history?
MAF is looking for a Programs Manager who wants an opportunity to learn and develop within an organization that sits at the forefront of economic justice work and leads with innovative and big ideas. The Programs Manager will oversee MAF’s local programs, which include immigration loans, business loans, and the award-winning Lending Circles program. They will supervise MAF’s local programs team, ensure we are on track to meet our ambitious goals, help us pivot if we’re not, and guide and shape MAF’s next programmatic direction. From day one you’ll be challenged by exciting projects, working alongside the best and brightest, and enjoying an amicable work environment.
Our story: Mission Asset Fund (MAF) is a groundbreaking non-profit on a mission to create a fair financial marketplace for hardworking families. We’re a recognized nationwide leader in developing innovative and successful asset-building strategies. A hybrid between a tech start-up and a nonprofit, MAF is a great place to work for both nonprofit or for-profit professionals who are interested in tech for social good.
As MAF grows, we need a passionate Programs Manager who can take our work to the next level. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants not just a job, but also an opportunity to build the financial power in communities of color and be part of a community and culture that is committed to social good.
An awesome place to work: We’re right in the Mission District in San Francisco. It’s awesome here, with diverse restaurants, bars, and shops. We’ve got great team outings (fighting zombies, putt putt and bowling to name a few). And the team is ridiculously dedicated to the mission and fun to work with. As a nonprofit and tech startup, we attract people who like to jump in with both feet and who aren’t afraid of learning how to do better. With an open office environment, collaboration and teamwork are more than just values - they’re a way of life. Hailing from many different cultural and professional backgrounds, we are drawn together by a passion for embracing technology and creativity to make the world a better place for hardworking families.
Reports to: Programs Director
Location: San Francisco, CA (currently remote)
Program Management (80%):
- Coordinate and oversee MAF’s local programs, including our immigration loans, business loans, and award-winning Lending Circles program.
- Supervise and manage the two-person client success team.
- Keep a view of the big picture. Ensure we complete program deliverables, report on outcomes, and collect client success stories.
- Streamline our systems, formalize policies, capture and share lessons learned, and help MAF to institutionalize our programs.
- Develop smarter operational processes, with an eye for efficiency and effectiveness, as MAF scales up it's programs and services.
- Help to design, develop, and implement new programs and products that are responsive to the needs of our communities.
- Be a cross-functional superhero, and support our Tech Team with designing new and innovative tech developments for low-income communities.
- Review and approve client applications and loan modifications, with a keen eye to MAF’s policies, procedures, and underwriting criteria.
- Be an expert in our fields. Read the latest research and attend conferences related to asset building, community economic development, microfinance, immigrant rights, and credit building.
- Represent MAF at external speaking events, and occasionally do media segments for TV/radio.
- Manage external relationships with government agencies and other key partners.
- Form and build relationships with allies in our fields.
Direct Client Engagement (15%):
- Engage key client constituents, including supporting MAF's Member Advisory Council.
- Help the team respond to client inquiries over the phone, online, and in-person.
- Roll up your sleeves when needed, and help the programs team process applications and respond to client demand.
- Resolve sensitive client issues, as needed.
General Operations (5%)
- Engage in professional development opportunities, participating in trainings and conferences provided to staff
- Participate in staff meetings, attend events, and otherwise contribute to strengthening the roots within our community
You’ll thrive in this role if:
- You have a track record of leading large projects, managing teams, and seeing real impact and results.
- Social justice is paramount to you. You have experience in a professional setting with mission-driven, non-profit organizations.
- You treat clients with respect. You actively seek to understand their unique perspective and concerns, convey empathy in all interactions, and serve as a client advocate.
- You are a natural communicator, both in writing and in person. You can build strong relationships with all of MAF’s stakeholders, from our clients to our funders.
- You are self-motivated and enjoy taking initiative. You are able to work well both independently and in teams.
- You embrace technology, love figuring out how to use new platforms, and think creatively about how to make technology work even better.
- You have a great sense of humor, healthy interpersonal skills, and an unflinching positive attitude.
- You have the ability to travel within the San Francisco Bay Area, and the flexibility to work some nights or weekends.
- You have a B.A. or equivalent experience.
- You have at least 3-5 years of relevant experience managing/implementing programs, and some experience supervising direct reports.
- You speak Spanish. Being bilingual (reading, writing, and speaking English and Spanish) is a must.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- This is a full-time position with an anticipated salary range of $70,000-$80,000.
- We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with this value.
- We provide 20 days of Paid Time Off (160 hours)/year accrued for the first two years of full-time employment, 13 paid holidays.
- We provide generous medical (HMO and PPO options), dental, vision, disability, life, flexible spending account, and AD&D insurance.
- We care about your financial future. We provide a matching 401K plan that is immediately vested. We will match up to 6% of your compensation/year.
- Commuter benefits & flexible savings accounts: pre-tax benefit accounts used to pay for expenses like healthcare or commuter expenses like parking, vanpool, public transit—including train, subway, bus, and ferry.
OUR HIRING PROCESS AND TIMELINE
- We will read your cover letter first; it’s important for us to understand whether this is the right fit for you. In your cover letter, please be sure to tell us why you are interested in this job, what you like about MAF, and share examples of past work you’ve done that makes you a strong candidate.
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start as soon as possible - ideally by early to mid-July.
Equal Opportunity Employment: Mission Asset Fund is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Mission Asset Fund does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Deadline: Applications are processed on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.
- No phone calls.
- Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers.