Kiva (www.kiva.org) is an innovative non-profit focused on connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty and create opportunity. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.” In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, flexible, and motivated Community Success Associate to engage our stakeholder communities around the world. Each day at Kiva we receive hundreds of queries from lenders and international partner institutions on matters important and delicate. As a highly motivated relationship management professional, you will help lead the Community team in its effort to engage and support this passionate community of over 1.5 million lenders and 200+ partners.
As a Community Success Associate you will become an expert on Kiva and expand your knowledge of microfinance, technology, and nonprofit operations. You will become an advocate for our stakeholder communities within Kiva, working to resolve issues and deepen Kiva’s engagement with our lenders and partners. You will gain a deep understanding of how money moves through the Kiva ecosystem and will specialize in addressing questions and concerns about flow of funds as they arise. You’re an excellent writer and an effective communicator of sensitive and controversial information. You have an eye for simplicity that you will use to explain complex topics to our community and that will push you to continually improve Kiva’s operational systems in order to effectively serve more stakeholders at scale.
- Triage and respond to incoming email and phone inquiries from lenders, partners, and other stakeholder communities with a focus on repayments, withdrawals and other flow of funds issues
- Create help articles, standard emails and training materials to address common questions
- Manage outreach to inactive lenders by mail and the follow up escheatment process
Community Engagement and Experience
- Use data to grow and refine Kiva’s central customer service system used to support lenders, partners and other stakeholder communities
- Gather and share actionable feedback from Kiva’s diverse community with relevant internal stakeholders
- Help develop and implement projects aimed at driving engagement and increasing loan volume over time
- Collaborate with other groups at Kiva (e.g. Finance, Marketing, Product) to continually improve the experience lenders and partners have on our site
Withdrawal Processing and PayPal Relationship Management
- Resolve transaction issues for Kiva users via effective communication and swift payment processing
- Serve as Kiva’s liaison with PayPal to troubleshoot payment issues
- Partner with the Finance team to process lender withdrawals and monitor accounts to prevent fraud
Partner Monitoring and Compliance
- Oversee the monthly repayment reporting process
- Complete regular monitoring to confirm compliance with our policies and provide additional training to partners as needed
- Work closely with the Impact Investments team at Kiva to resolve or escalate difficult situations
- Interview, hire and onboard multiple interns biannually.
- Meet regularly with interns to provide feedback, set goals, and track progress to ensure an excellent volunteer experience
Operational Processes and Departmental Support
- Push to continually streamline operational systems by testing new ideas and standardizing work flows
- Establish clear systems for working with new stakeholder groups as they engage with Kiva
- Engage in team knowledge management efforts
- Support ad hoc projects
- Highly organized with an aptitude for working in a constantly changing environment and adapting to changing priorities. This means being able to take on multiple projects, prioritize effectively, manage your time to meet deadlines, and happily tackle work that ranges from in-depth projects to ongoing repetitive tasks.
- Superior written communication skills, with the ability to communicate simply, elegantly and effectively to a wide range of audiences (including some that speak English as a second language) while also letting your character shine.
- Accountable with strong attention to detail. Able to balance working independently with the good judgment to decide when to update stakeholders or escalate a problem.
- Experience with and/or a belief in the importance of customer service as a foundational aspect of any business’s success. You enjoy going the extra mile to make things right and people happy.
- Comfortable with numbers and familiar with Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a very high EQ.
- Tech savvy and very comfortable learning new systems and technologies.
- A creative problem solver who desires to go above and beyond what is asked.
- Minimum 1-3 years of relevant experience or equivalent education and experience.
- Advanced professional proficiency in Spanish or French strongly preferred
- Customer service or account management experience.
- Interest in or history of working in the international development and/or financial inclusion sectors. Time spent working abroad in developing countries or with a microfinance institution a plus.
- Experience collecting data and/or completing user research to inform programmatic decisions.
- Volunteer management experience recommended.
What We Offer
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- Casual work environment.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and stakeholder communities around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Minimum Education Required