Part Time Temporary
Details: $14 per hour
The Community Engagement Assistant will work with the WHSRN Executive Office’s Community Engagement Coordinator to support the Celebrate Delaware Bay initiative in the implementation of business outreach and a local tourism initiative to engage residents and visitors. The mission of Celebrate Delaware Bay is to build an inclusive community – that will protect Delaware Bay, its natural resources, and the essential habitat it provides for shorebirds and horseshoe crabs through education and direct action. Working with a network of organizations, communities, and individuals throughout the Delaware Bay region, Celebrate Delaware Bay is collaborating with partners on the implementation of conservation action projects that will have a measureable impact on shorebirds and horseshoe crabs.
The Community Engagement Assistant will have the opportunity to lead the expansion of the youth sign program to local businesses. Artwork that is created by students is currently installed along the beaches. Expanding to local businesses will allow the artwork to engage a wider audience. The Assistant will also work with New Jersey’s Bayshore Council’s Tourism and Economic Development committee to update the asset map for Discover Delaware Bay, as well as prepare various materials and web content to promote nature-based tourism.
The Community Engagement Assistant will also assist with other projects including reTURN the Favor, a horseshoe crab rescue program, an evaluation of youth signs on beaches with social research techniques, and various outreach activities on behalf of Celebrate Delaware Bay, such as tabling events, flyer distribution, and community letter distribution.
Community Engagement Assistant will report to the Community Engagement Coordinator. The position is temporary, hourly ($14/hour, not benefits-eligible), part-time starting as soon as possible through July 15, 2018. Occasional weekend and evening work will be required, but work schedule is negotiable.
Launched in 1985, the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network (WHSRN) works to conserve shorebirds and their habitats through a network of key sites across the Americas. The WHSRN Executive Office implements program strategies and supports site partners under the direction of the WHSRN Hemispheric Council. The Network aligns with the simple strategy that key habitats throughout the Americas must be protected in order to sustain healthy populations of shorebirds. Delaware Bay was the first site to join the Network in 1986. To date, WHSRN site partners are conserving more than 36.9 million acres (nearly 14.9 million hectares) of shorebird habitat at 101 sites in 15 countries.
The Community Engagement Assistant will:
- Expand the youth sign program to local businesses.
- Review and update Discover Delaware Bay's asset map as needed by the Tourism and Economic Development committee
- Assist with reTURN the Favor horseshoe crab rescue program.
- Assist with an evaluation of youth signs on beaches with social research techniques.
- Conduct outreach activities if time allows. Activities may include tabling events, flyer distribution, and community letter distribution.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Bachelor’s degree or working towards a Bachelor’s degree in communication, biology, natural resource management, sociology or other relevant field.
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, and public speaking.
- Access to regular use of a personal vehicle, computer, and mobile phone. Travel within New Jersey’s Delaware Bayshore is required. Mileage reimbursement will be available at the federal rate.
- Availability on weekends.
- Ability to work outside in variable weather conditions.
- Other desirable qualifications include:
- Experience conducting environmental education or community engagement activities.
- An understanding of the natural history of shorebirds, horseshoe crabs, and/or the Delaware Bay.
About Manomet, Inc
Manomet, Inc. is a 48-year old nonprofit whose mission is applying science and engaging people to sustain our world. At Manomet, we believe people can live and work today in ways that will enable our world to thrive and prosper tomorrow. By applying science and engaging people, Manomet provides practical ways to act—where people live and work. A nonprofit grounded in science, Manomet’s experts champion better practices in conservation, business sustainability, and science education in the U. S. and internationally. As a result, Manomet is showing how we can create a sustainable future. Manomet houses the Executive Office of the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network (WHSRN).
This position is not benefits eligible
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the ‘Community Engagement Assistant’ in the subject line. Job announcement open until April 15th.
Manomet is an equal opportunity employer