1616 Franklin Street
Nationally recognized venture philanthropy firm seeks an Analyst to support two of our investment areas – education technology and diverse leaders – to improve student outcomes. This role will be based in Oakland, CA.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that invests in promising and innovative education entrepreneurs, and helps them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PK-12 education.
NewSchools is hiring an Analyst to support the Ed Tech and Diverse Leaders teams. The Ed Tech team invests in promising for-profit and nonprofit entrepreneurs developing digital tools and services that support teaching and learning in PK-12 schools. The Diverse Leaders team invests in entrepreneurs with bold ideas to diversify education leadership. The position will report to a Partner on the Diverse Leaders team, and be located in our Oakland office.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Market Research and Venture Diligence (70%)
- Conduct research to build a detailed understanding of target market gaps in PK-12 education technology and diversity, equity and inclusion in education, including leadership development and community engagement
- Design and lead key projects for the two teams that will drive our strategy forward
- Analyze and synthesize research findings to develop valuable insights and strategic recommendations
- Develop polished materials that synthesize analyses for a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Perform due diligence on prospective investments, administer and disburse grant funds, and conduct post-investment analyses of the portfolio as a wholeSeek opportunities to share key analysis and insights publicly
2. Event Planning (20%)
- Lead the planning and coordination of external events for the Ed Tech and Diverse Leaders teams. This will include site selection; food and beverage planning; attendee management; travel coordination; and day-of support for up to five multi-day events annually
- Contribute to the design, content creation, and meeting facilitation of Ed Tech and Diverse Leaders events
3. Systems & Processes (10%)
- Lead day-to-day data management and information sharing for the Ed Tech and Diverse Leaders teams
- With support from our Shared Services team, develop processes and manage systems to streamline recruitment, selection and communication with our current and prospective ventures
- Serve as liaison between Ed Tech, Diverse Leaders, and Shared Services teams to ensure that our teams’ systems & processes align with larger organizational structures
Skills, Qualifications and Work Style
Success in the position will require, but not be limited to, the following proven competencies:
- Commitment to our mission and strategy, including the improvement of public education and working with diverse communities
- Strong analytical, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people at all levels, internally and externally
- Willingness to take initiative and own high priority tasks and projects
- Work style suited to working in a small-team setting, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
- Comfort and ability to manage multiple priorities amid high ambiguity
- Ability to appropriately prioritize work, manage time effectively and deliver high-quality work on time
- Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Docs; ability to perform Internet research
Education and Experience
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience
- Prior research, teaching, education technology, leadership development, management consulting, finance, and entrepreneurial experience are all valued
We make a competitive compensation package available to all employees, including base salary, performance bonus, professional development, and complete benefits.
NewSchools Venture Fund is an equal opportunity employer. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Minimum Education Required