Farm Foundation Position Open
Marketing and Communications Manager
Title: Marketing and Communications Manager
Supervised by: President and CEO
Supervises: Marketing agency and interns
Status: Salaried, exempt, full-time
Date: October 2021
About Farm Foundation
Farm Foundation leverages the power of collaboration between food and agricultural stakeholders to advance agriculture in positive ways. Our unique approach combines the trust and reliability of a “think tank” with the impact and urgency of a “do tank.” We are an accelerator of practical solutions for agriculture, accelerating people and ideas into action.
Founded in 1933, Farm Foundation is believed to be the first foundation created specifically to serve agriculture and rural communities in the United States. The Foundation builds momentum behind meaningful solutions to address urgent issues facing our industry, from farmer health, to developing the next generation of farmers and ag leaders, to conservation and sustainability, to market development, and to digital agriculture.
Farm Foundation is a multistakeholder, non-partisan, group of farmers, executives, academics, and government leaders. We address social, environmental, and economic issues using innovation, education, and policy to achieve tangible results. For more information about our programs, visit https://www.farmfoundation.org/
Farm Foundation is seeking a Marketing and Communications Manager with broad multimedia experience (including web, social media, PR, writing, branding, and communications) to manage our new strategies to increase our impact.
While our organization is 90 years old, we are at a juncture that looks and feels like we are a new start-up organization. We’ve been through rebranding of our institutional identity and are implementing our new five-year strategic vision which includes new programming, creating next generation programs, and opening a new Innovation and Education Center in the metro area to deliver best in class digital and in-person experiences to support our mission. Our ideal candidate will join our entrepreneurial, vibrant team and must possess our passion for bringing this innovative vision to life.
The Farm Foundation Marketing and Communications Manager will lead the execution of the marketing and communications plan for the Farm Foundation’s programs, events, projects, and development efforts. Presently, the Manager is the sole staff member in the department but works very closely with an outsources marketing firm on developing strategy and evaluation metrics. The Manager works directly with the VP of Programs and Projects, the President and CEO, and the VP of Development in a team approach.
Specific responsibilities include:
Management (approximately 15% of time)
- Manage and execute the annual communication and marketing plan, based on the goals and objectives developed with the marketing firm and defined in the Strategic Plan
- Track and analyze key metrics to evaluate and demonstrate impact. Make course corrections, as necessary
- Work with the marketing firm to develop new and innovative ways to communicate the work of Farm Foundation to key stakeholders
- Coordinate all communications for consistency and effectiveness. Represent Farm Foundation through all communications and marketing initiatives
- Maximize the impact of the Foundation with appropriate strategies for targeted audiences. This includes working with other Foundation staff and project partners to identify communication opportunities.
- Manage any agencies, vendors, contractors, or staff working on marketing and communications for Farm Foundation
- Contribute to a cohesive work environment that builds teamwork while challenging everyone to maximize their skills and abilities.
Content Production (approximately 75% of time)
Social Media Content
- Produce, monitor, and measure the impact of regular social media content across multiple platforms that support the ongoing programming of Farm Foundation
- Develop social media content that supports, informs, and promotes the multi-generational, multi-stakeholder project and program portfolio of Farm Foundation
- Develop content for specific audiences such as our next generation program participants, Round Table Fellows, board members, or the public
- Create social media content that connects emerging issues and important cyclical events in food and agriculture to the work of Farm Foundation
- Use social media to promote giving and engagement opportunities
E newsletter Content
- Develop, design, and produce the two monthly e-newsletters, one for internal stakeholders, and one for external circulation
- Coordinate content for blog posts from contributing contractors and stakeholders
- Maintain and curate Farm Foundation website, ensuring that projects and program work is current and relevant
- Use social media to drive traffic to the Farm Foundation website
- Work with the team to develop updated content, as needed, such as infographics, podcasts and more
- Develop materials, such as PowerPoint decks and scripts, on behalf of the President/CEO and Vice Presidents
Fundraising and Events Content
- With the development staff, create and coordinate the development of materials for meetings, events, fundraising efforts
- Serve as copyeditor of materials written by others
- Ensure the smooth production of fundraising pieces
Public Relations (approximately 10% of time)
- Write and disseminate press releases; develop and maintain relationships with relevant media outlets
- Facilitate opportunities to promote the Farm Foundation brand through interviews, speaking. appearances, podcast, television appearances and social media engagement.
· Contribute to the overall success of the Foundation’s mission with forward thinking, innovative ideas
· Represent Farm Foundation at events, forums, etc.
· Participate in internal and external meetings as required
· Protect the Foundation by keeping information confidential
· Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Work Experience
- Experience and/or knowledge in the fields of the food system, agriculture, and/or rural regions is required
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing (or related field) or equivalent professional experience is required
- Minimum four years’ experience writing original content for an organization, especially writing for digital audiences
- Four years of experience generating regular content using a diverse array of communication tools, including social media, print, radio, podcasts, and websites
- Outstanding communicator and writer for a variety of audiences. Excellent copyediting skills.
- Previous experience developing and managing budgets
- Proven experience managing on-going multiple projects
- Strong expertise with the Microsoft Office Suite, including intermediate to advanced skills in PowerPoint
- Intermediate to advanced expertise with Adobe Creative Suite
- Previous professional experience using Hootsuite, Canva, Constant Contact, Meltwater, and WordPress required, or the willingness to learn quickly
- Commitment to Farm Foundation’s mission and vision statements
- Excellent attention to deadlines and details. Strong drive and initiative to deliver excellence
- Ability to motivate and collaborate effectively with team members, vendors, and stakeholders
· Commitment to inclusivity and diversity
· Ability to manage a fast-paced, at times high-volume workload
· Ability to thrive on a small team and pitch in when needed
- This position operates in a blended remote and professional office environment that is accessible. Some travel to off-site locations may not be accessible.
- This is a full-time position. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required e.g., for events. Occasional national travel for a few days at a time is required.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to talk, hear, and use hands to operate office equipment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to twenty-five pounds.
- Workplace is a smoke- and drug-free environment
- Equal Opportunity Employer. Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship status, military service and/or marital status, order of protection status, handicap, disability, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes.
How to Apply
- Submit (1) an attached cover letter, (2) an attached resume, (3) indicate in your email how you learned of the position opening, and (4) your salary range requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write your Last, then First name in the subject line
- Interviews will begin when qualified candidates apply. The position is to start as soon as possible.
- Salary is $54,000 to $62,000, commensurate with experience.
- Benefits package includes medical (with percentage of the premium paid for by the employer, based on which plan is chosen); life and short- and long-term disability coverage. Retirement plan offered with a 5% employer contribution and an additional 4% match of employee contributions. Comprehensive leave and ½ day Fridays in the summer.