134 W. 26th St.
The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math. You can learn more about MoMath and its open opportunities at http://momath.org.
MoMath is seeking an enthusiastic and energetic chief of education who will have primary responsibility for implementation and delivery of the broad variety of innovative and engaging educational programs the Museum offers. This position will help shape one of America’s major efforts in mathematical outreach to students, teachers, and the public.
This is a full-time, permanent position based in New York City. It offers a full suite of benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The chief of education will supervise and lead the offering of compelling original classes, presentations, and activities that demonstrate the beauty and joy of math. This role is responsible for ensuring that MoMath’s programs, which encompass a broad area of mathematical content, are presented as appealing, compelling programs that are accessible to diverse target audiences, including children and adults, and ranging from mathematical novices to the mathematically sophisticated.
The chief of education will serve as the Museum’s lead educator, presenting programs and classroom sessions. He/she will also serve as the manager of MoMath’s education staff, providing guidance and feedback to develop the effectiveness of the educators, supervising and scheduling their work, and deploying appropriate staff and other resources to create successful programs.
MoMath’s educational programs include (but are not limited to):
· Field trip offerings for school classes, camps, and other groups that visit the Museum
· After-school and weekend math clubs and gifted/enrichment programs
· Summer math camps and programs
· Teacher professional development
· In-museum public demonstrations and group activities
· Birthday party activities with a strong mathematical component
· Mobile museum curricula, including educational outreach to external venues such as schools, community centers, and public spaces
· Advanced study at the level of a Ph.D. in Mathematics, Mathematics Education, or a closely allied field, or a near-equivalent level of experience, exposure, and mastery of a wide range of mathematical topics
· A successful track record presenting curricula, activities, and/or programs illustrating the breadth, beauty, vitality, usefulness, and excitement of modern mathematics, geared to a broad public
· A talent for communicating mathematical ideas at all levels of sophistication and understanding to both children and adults in a clear, meaningful, and accessible manner
· Experience teaching Mathematics, particularly K-12
· Strong management, supervisory, and administrative skills; a history of success in a management or supervisory role is highly desirable
· The ability to provide an enthusiastic, energetic presence in front of a classroom or auditorium
· Excellent written communication skills
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line that includes “Chief of Education” and your name:
- A cover letter explaining how you meet the criteria
- A current resumé, including grade point averages
- A 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics
- Please also include samples of, or links to, outreach or educational activities for which you have been responsible.