Kent Volunteer Coordinator - Come join us in the fight to end hunger!
- Job posted by Northwest Harvest
Details: orthwest Harvest offers a competitive salary and generous benefits which include but are not limited to paid time off, health/vision/dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan.
Position Title: Kent Volunteer Coordinator
Reports to: Kent Operations Manager
Location: Kent, WA
Northwest Harvest is Washington’s leading hunger relief agency – supporting a statewide network of 375 food banks, meal programs, and high-need schools. Focused on improving equity in our food system, Northwest Harvest believes everyone in Washington should have consistent access to nutritious food that feeds the body, mind, and spirit. In addition to making sure those who suffer from hunger are being fed, Northwest Harvest aims to shift public opinion, as well as impact institutional policies and societal practices that perpetuate hunger, poverty, and disparities in our state. Learn more at http://www.northwestharvest.org
This position primarily requires a Tuesday through Saturday schedule and will be a shared responsibility role with an additional Volunteer Coordinator. The Kent Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for volunteer scheduling and orientation. This is primarily an administrative position requiring extensive information management using Outlook, Excel, Word, and Volgistics. This role will engage in cutting hunger rates in half by 2028 through effective stewardship of resources and implementation of best practices to support our partners and employees in completing the mission of Northwest Harvest.
Schedules and recruits’ volunteers for the Kent Warehouse (80%)
• Serves as the first and primary point of contact for volunteers at the Kent Warehouse.
• Maintains Volgistics database for tracking, communicating with, and scheduling volunteers.
• Responds quickly to interested volunteers by phone, email and in person, providing information and processing applications in a timely fashion.
• Responsible for staffing the volunteers at Kent Warehouse to the levels needed as determined by the Operations Manager.
• Follows scheduling and confirmation procedures to create the daily schedule for the Kent staff, ensuring information is accurate and all necessary logistics are communicated and provided for.
• Recruits volunteers as necessary to maintain required volunteer levels, including recruiting high school and college service learning students.
• Builds friendly, professional relationships with volunteers.
• Collects feedback from volunteers and shares information with their Manager and Kent staff to improve the overall volunteer experience.
• Participates in volunteer recognition activities.
• Provides stories for the monthly e-news and quarterly newsletter.
• Resolves disagreements and deals with difficult volunteers in a respectful manner.
• Assists Kent staff with keeping the Volunteer Team Room organized and ready for volunteers, including making coffee, cleaning tables, and ensuring that supplies are available for volunteers.
• Communicates daily with Kent staff. Meets weekly with their Manager and meets monthly with the entire Kent volunteer staff.
• On Saturdays, screens all incoming volunteer applications in Volgistics and assigns them to the requested location.
• Assists with other Community Engagement tasks as requested.
• Does speaking engagements on behalf of the agency in relation to volunteering as assigned by their Manager.
• Performs other duties as requested by Management.
Provides orientations for Kent Warehouse volunteers (15%)
• Greets and interacts with volunteers at the beginning of each shift.
• In partnership with the Kent staff, provides orientation for all new volunteers, which is frequently 100 volunteers at one time.
• Ensures all individuals and groups sign in, and checks attendance during each shift.
• Shares appreciation during each shift.
• Provides acknowledgements (thank you stickers, etc.) and wrap up messaging at the end of each shift.
• Works with Volunteer Liaison to provide on-going training to lead Volunteers.
Tracks hours for volunteers at the Kent Warehouse (5%)
• Prepares volunteer sign-in sheets and group table top labels for each shift.
• Inputs all Kent Warehouse volunteer hours into Volgistics.
• Maintains Attendance Matrix and other tracking documents (calendar, etc.) as requested by Operations Manager, or Director of Community Engagement.
• Maintains production matrix to ensure that all production is tracked with product on hand to ensure that shifts are not overscheduled.
EQUITY and INCLUSION:
• Demonstrate the initiative to learn and enhance skills that promote anti-racism, cultural competency and an understanding of oppression and its impact.
• Participate in intentional learning efforts, including events relating to understanding and dismantling institutional racism and building cultural competency.
Internal – Frequent contact with staff and management at Kent location, as well as volunteer specialists, coordinators and liaison within the agency.
External – Continuous daily contact with the public functioning as volunteers at Northwest Harvest.
A combination of the real-life experience, education, and training listed below which provides an equivalent background to perform the work of this position.
Successful completion of Criminal History Background check is required.
• Ability to work with diverse populations.
• Volunteer appreciation practices.
• Non-Profit experience.
• Proven organizational skills with attention to detail.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Foodbank warehouse systems.
• Experience with Volgistics and/or other volunteer management software
• Work occasional off-shift hours as necessary for speaking engagements, special events or other duties assigned.
• Understand individuals who have experienced poverty or food insecurity.
• Demonstrate interest and commitment to supporting equity and inclusion for members of historically marginalized groups including racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQ populations and people living with disabilities.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and leadership to assure a high degree of mutual accountability.
• Analyze issues, synthesize information, make decisions and learn from mistakes.
Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, including the ability to listen effectively and to explain complex issues and applicable legal requirements, policies and procedures to staff and leaders.
2 plus years of progressively responsible experience in customer service. 2 plus years in volunteer organizations.
Experience in a nonprofit organization is desired.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
High School Diploma and/or GED is preferred or equal combination of experience and education.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Forklift/pallet jack certification (or ability to be certified within two months of hire).
Northwest Harvest offers a competitive salary and generous benefits which include but are not limited to paid time off, health/vision/dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan.
Pay range for this position is $17.50 - $18.50 hourly negotiable
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND NON-DISCRIMINATION:
Northwest Harvest (NWH) is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. NWH does not discriminate with regards to hiring, assignment, promotion or other conditions of staff employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other status protected under local, state or federal law.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, upon request, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of our positions.
Minimum Education Required