Details: Salary DOE
606 East Main Street
Organizational and Program Summary
Manna on Main Street, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, provides critical food services for our community, ensuring that the hungry and poor have a welcome and safe place to access emergency food, social services and educational opportunities. Manna on Main Street is part of North Penn Commons, an innovative partnership between four highly respected nonprofit organizations to create a vibrant public center offering easy access to programs, services and facilities on one shared campus.
In addition to a food pantry and soup kitchen, Manna operates the Common Grounds Food Service Training to Employment Program, a free 14 week training program designed to move people living in economic instability to sustainable employment. Program trainees engage in experiential and classroom learning, contributing to food production in Manna’s kitchen and service of Manna’s Common Grounds Café & Catering programs.
Summary of Position
The Chef Instructor works closely with Common Grounds Training Program (Common Grounds) adult trainees, serving as a teacher and role model and training them in basic food preparation skills. Job duties also include planning, preparing and executing meal production, inventory management, and executing menu and recipe standards. The Chef Instructor is also responsible for Common Grounds Catering, a social enterprise program serviced by the trainees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide hands-on, direct training with trainees on core food service competencies in the kitchen as well as culinary knowledge and skill development in the classroom
- Track and record trainee skill progression
- Assist in day-to-day operation of the kitchen, coordinate food production schedules, and ensure highest level of food quality, taste, and presentation.
- Ensure all food service employees, trainees, and volunteers consistently adhere to uniform, grooming, and appearance standards
- In conjunction with management, maintain goals for the kitchen, anticipate and resolve problems concerning all facets of the kitchen, anticipate trends, and enact approved profit-oriented and cost saving ideas/activities
- Establish and require strict adherence to health department and sanitation and food handling guidelines
- Ensure adherence to recipes and product specifications and train trainees on all new menus
- Maintain effective communication and working relationship with the Food Service Director, kitchen, café and program staff; be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns and work to resolve problems
- Direct and operate Common Grounds Catering in partnership with the Common Grounds Café. This includes building the customer base, fulfilling catering orders both off and on-site, and supervising all food ordering and production.
- College degree or advanced culinary certification
- 3-5 years of experience in high volume kitchen (OR Banquet and Catering)
- Formal culinary training or equivalent preferred
- Inventory management experience
- Strong computer competency with MS Office applications
- A passion for excellence through teamwork, positive change and communication
- Strong leadership skills
- Demonstrated coaching style reflecting compassion, wisdom and integrity
- Experience working with disadvantaged men and women preferred
- Valid Pennsylvania State Driver's License required and 5-year clean driving record
- Knowledge of food safety and sanitation principles with a valid ServSafe Manager or equivalent certification
Full health benefits provided for employee. 15 days of PTO with 9 paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required