184 Eldridge Street
University Settlement is one of New York City's most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 31 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower the individuals we serve through comprehensive, quality services that strengthen families and meet the current needs of the community.
We’re seeking a Communications Associate for University Settlement who will serve as an essential member of a fast-paced, energetic and committed team that’s been changing New York City for the better for decades. We’re always growing and changing, just like New York City, which is why we need you. If you want to dig in, make a difference and be part of a team that will consistently push you to grow and develop new skills while also offering you great benefits, then join us.
You’ll be best in class with demonstrated leadership skills and abilities, public relations and social media savvy, and a desire to manage, shape and grow our communications strategies and activities.
The Communications Associate position is an important role on a team that juggles numerous, changing needs from many different internal teams – we support University Settlement and its partner agencies The Door and Broome Street Academy. We work hard, move fast, and never know what today will bring -- and we make sure to have fun, too.
- Social Media: In charge of the strategy, creation, daily implementation and analytics. Write blogs, tweets, posts, etc. and maintain a social media calendar. Weekly and monthly analytics tracking. Create images and short videos. Support public relations, fundraising and advocacy activities.
- Public Relations: Support Assistant Director and senior staff with public relations outreach, pitches, press management, media training, and implementation.
- Website: Assist in content updates, creation of new pages, and analytics.
- E-communications: Assist in strategy, writing, and designing e-newsletter and email communications to support branding, awareness, fundraising, and advocacy.
- Collateral: Daily coordination, writing, and design of print materials including flyers, brochures, invitations, posters, programs, and events materials.
- Work with the Assistant Director to maintain and enhance branding, messaging, and positioning of University Settlement and its partner agencies.
- Provide regular performance updates and analysis of public relations, social media, website, and all other activities; recommend future actions based on results.
- Support events and major fundraising campaigns by updating, merging, and managing databases and producing materials such as letters, envelopes, and name tags efficiently and quickly.
- Stay abreast of trends and new opportunities for communications, public relations, and fundraising in social media, e-communications, and website design.
- Manage the Communications Interns and assist in recruiting and overseeing assignments; assist the CEO, Director of Development, and Assistant Director on special projects as assigned.
- Assist with additional tasks as requested by supervisor.
For more information please visit: Communications Associate
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, and writing samples.
Kindly provide medium and short writing samples (journalistically styled piece: op-ed, press release that tells a story, college newspaper)