Asia Society, a prestigious, global non-profit with an exciting portfolio of programs in the areas of public policy, arts and culture, and education, seeks a Museum Publication Coordinator for our New York City location.
Coordinate all published materials, including print and web, for exhibitions, arts and culture programs, and special events collateral, and provide administrative support.
- Coordinate exhibition and collection photography and provide images and information to departments within Asia Society;
- Manage image rights and reproductions, and maintenance of Museum photo archive;
- Manage content, edit, and coordinate implementation of exhibitions websites;
- Coordinate and oversee Museum’s presence on AsiaSociety.org and exhibition mini sites, including working with CMS.
In consultation with Museum Deputy Director:
- Edit and proofread exhibition didactics, wall and label text, teacher guides, exhibition preview invitations, Events calendar entries, press releases, catalogue texts, grant and fundraising proposals, and other departmental texts;
- Coordinate materials for designers and publishers;
- Coordinate exhibition and publication timelines;
- Coordinate content, design, and production of exhibition wall and label texts and maps;
- Coordinate content and develop, edit, and coordinate production of audio tours;
- Coordinate acquisition and production of exhibition catalogue images; clear reproduction rights for all images; work with designers and printers to coordinate catalogue production;
- Coordinate museum book inventory and distribution within Asia Society and wholesalers.
General Museum duties:
- Performs general gallery checks and reports installation and/or maintenance problems.
- Some lifting, including boxes up to 40 lb.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History, Fine Arts/Architecture or Communications and 2-3 years experience in a Museum or Publishing position preferred.
- Excellent editing and writing skills and strong organizational skills.
- Proficient in Word, Photoshop, Filemaker (or equivalent database), Excel and experience in InDesign.
- Experience working with consultants, free-lance designers and editors.
- Experience in book publication.
- Knowledge of exhibition installation and art handling, and strong knowledge of content management systems, e.g., Drupal, social media, and working with web developers and designers.
- Persuades others; builds consensus through give and take; gains cooperation from others to obtain information and accomplish goals
- Develops networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals.
Professional and Results-Oriented:
- Seeks to consistently produce results that achieve goals and objectives
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments and observing deadlines
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision
- Good judgment, tact and discretion
- Ability to translate ideas into action
- Good ambassador for Asia Society, with current knowledge about the organization locally and globally
Collaboration and Teamwork:
- Excellent skills in communicating with people from different cultures, backgrounds, and across time zones
- Works with others towards common purposes to achieve shared goals by developing and maintaining responsive, cooperative and mutually beneficial internal and external relationships
- Acts as a global facilitator to have conversations, exchange ideas and build understanding
- Identifies new and creative ways of doing something or solving a problem that improves, changes and results in value to the organization and constituencies (could be through technology or introducing new ways of thinking)
- Uses technology for impact, reach and efficiency, such as through social media, databases, etc.
- Professional competencies in the related field of work
- Recognizes trends in theory and practice of one’s own technical area and effectively prepares for anticipated changes
- Comfortable with using Salesforce suite of products, as well as other tools, including social media proficiency
For more information about benefits go to: www.asiasociety.org/careers
How to Apply:
Please email your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com Indicate job title and reference code ID-1821 in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Please regard your resume as having been received unless your email is bounced back.
Asia Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required