WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to join ActBlue and help us support the growth of our platform.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of 65+ people (and growing!), and we are organized into cross-functional teams of 3-6 people with clear areas of product focus. We work with Kubernetes, Docker, Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Node.js, Redis and other technologies; host on AWS, manage our infrastructure with Terraform, and monitor with DataDog.
In this role, you will be joining one of our engineering enablement teams: supporting product development teams as they maintain and build new services that can scale to handle each election cycle. The team you would join focuses on increasing the autonomy of product development teams by growing their capabilities and co-developing solutions to address developer pain-points.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work with application developers and product “customers” to deploy and monitor new services repeatedly, at scale and in cloud services.
- Make our system performance data more readily accessible through monitoring and visualizations; recommend improvements to remove bottlenecks and points of failure.
- Build tooling to make the development and deployment process as seamless as possible for product teams.
- Practice and encourage a people-focused engineering mentality when working cross-functionally.
- Improve the performance and maintainability of our platform through quality code, comprehensive testing, monitoring and effective documentation.
- Engage and contribute to technical discussions around new solutions and architecture.
- Receive support from your manager and other senior leaders to grow as an individual and increase your impact within ActBlue and for the progressive movement.
- Be a champion for building a collaborative and inclusive team culture.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Some professional experience with Linux (Ubuntu) system administration
- Experience with version control systems (Git)
- Some experience with AWS or cloud-native applications
- A track record of collaborating with other engineers to resolve ambiguity and prioritize the highest impact work
- A demonstrated ability to write extensible, maintainable, and scalable code
- An inclusive and empathetic working style in a remote and distributed work environment
- An eagerness to learn and grow your skills
- A passion for repeatable configuration management and ActBlue’s mission to build people-powered movements
BONUS POINTS IF…
- You have experience configuring and monitoring CDNs (especially Fastly).
- You have experience administering PostgreSQL databases.
- You’ve worked with Terraform.
- You’re worked with Kubernetes.
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Stack: Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, React, TypeScript, Golang
- Tooling: CircleCI, Jenkins, Bugsnag, Github, Gitlab, PagerDuty
- Hosting: AWS, Heroku
- Monitoring: DataDog
- Databases: PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Redis
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- Security is at the center of everything we do. We are always on the lookout for ways to further harden our platform.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes the benefits listed below:
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including monthly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.
*ActBlue will never ask candidates to buy equipment, nor will we email from anything other than an actblue.com or actbluetech.com email address.