YES’s Adult Leadership Pathway (ALP) programming which engages young adults and adults ages 21 and up, aims to increase the leadership capacity of the Richmond community to contribute toward improved community conditions. The ALP is focused on nurturing the power of Richmond residents to embrace their unique gifts and strengths to better lead themselves, their families, and their community. Through workshops, community building, trainings of trainers and support systems, leaders develop their knowledge, skills, and experience in effecting positive change. The ALP includes two distinct, but interrelated, program tracks – one for Leaders and one for Fellows. The Leaders track consists of a series of workshops to support adults in developing leadership skills in a cohort setting and is the onramp for continued engagement in the Fellows track. Fellows are then engaged to co-lead the next Leaders cohort, while at the same time gaining more leadership skills to lead within the community.
The YES Adult Engagement Specialist is a part-time, 20 hours/week position at YES responsible for coordinating and overseeing the YES ALP Leaders track. The Adult Engagement Specialist works both on and off-site in direct service capacities and reports to the YES Adult Leadership Pathway Manager.
Program Delivery (55%)
● Delivers adult leadership programming to Richmond residents ages 21 and up
● Facilitates retreats, bi-weekly cohort convenings, and trainings for ALP participants.
● Revises existing curriculum in alignment with the ALP program design in collaboration with the ALP Manager.
● Adheres to program budget and expenditures.
● Uses long and short-term work and program plans in collaboration with the ALP Manager and team.
● Develops and maintains efficient systems for organizing and administering work.
● Generates, translates, and modifies pamphlets, flyers, brochures, and applications.
● Coordinates meeting and event logistics including facilities, meals, materials, etc.
Outreach & Support (25%)
● Conducts effective outreach (presentations, tabling events, calls, emails, social media, mailings) to reach and enroll groups that are impacted by the justice system, housing insecure, foster youth, English Learners, immigrants, and others, in the ALP and other YES programs.
● Manages the application, intake, and confirmation process to enroll 15-20 adults in the ALP.
● Manages and maintains positive and supportive relationships to ensure the retention of the participants throughout the duration of the program.
● Conducts three one-on-one goal-setting sessions and three group sessions with ALP participants to support their leadership development, successful completion of the ALP program, engagement in community projects, and transition into the next phase of the ALP.
● Shares leadership opportunities with participants and encourages them to engage in the larger community to exercise their leadership.
● Supports the YES Wellness Specialist with conducting care calls to distribute YES resiliency funds and support participants in need of financial support.
Community Partner Collaboration (10%)
● Invites and collaborates with community partners to be guest speakers during workshops, and/or to support with facilitation and training to promote skill development.
● Connects and places ALP participants into leadership opportunities or roles within the community and/or with community partners.
● Establishes and maintains relationships with constituents and community partners through meetings, presentations, attendance at events, and tokens of appreciation.
● Assesses existing community partnerships and researches new potential partnerships that align with YES values.
● Conducts pre and post-evaluations, focus groups, and/or individual interviews to assesses the impact of the program and to inform program improvements.
● Maintains data entry on Salesforce and generates reports for other program and development staff.
● With the support of the ALP Manager, assesses and improves evaluation tools and metrics annually based on participant feedback.
Organizational Leadership (5%)
● Proactively participates in staff meetings and retreats, check-ins with supervisor, and professional development opportunities.
● Understands and is committed to the organization’s vision, mission, and values, and communicates that strategic direction to staff, constituents, and partners.
● Assists the ALP and other staff as needed.
Physical demands: The position requires frequent use of computer and handwritten work; requires prolonged sitting or standing through the course of the workday, requires the ability to bend, lift and carry up to 30 lbs over short distances.
● Fluency in Spanish, both verbal and written.
● Experience working in youth or adult leadership development, education, and/or social justice organizations.
● Experience with facilitation, training and/or curriculum development, mentorship and/or coaching.
● Experience and enthusiasm for working with adults and families from diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds in an urban setting.
● Organized with rigorous attention to detail and protocols.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Comfort and ability to communicate with parents/caregivers.
● Self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
● Ability to multitask, be persistent, and solve problems as they arise.
● Comfort and composure when dealing with adversity and conflict.
● Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
● Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint), Internet (Google Calendar, Google Drive) and data entry platforms (Salesforce or equivalent).
● Must be able to carry up to 30 lbs. of weight.
● Must have own transportation.
OTHER DESIRED SKILLS/BACKGROUND
● Appreciation for the outdoors and the positive impact that nature plays in people’s lives.
● Knowledge of community organizing principles.
● Previous teaching experience.
● Knowledge of health and wellness, self-care, nutrition, and physical activity practices.
YES’s Adult Leadership Pathway (ALP) programming which engages young adults and adults ages 21 and up, aims to increase the leadership capacity of the Richmond community to contribute toward improved community conditions. The ALP is…
The position includes pro-rated paid time off in the first year with incremental accruals thereafter, pro-rated sick time, paid time off for birthdays, a paid holiday closure between Christmas and New Year’s as well as 12 federal holidays.
The position includes pro-rated paid time off in the first year with incremental accruals thereafter, pro-rated sick time, paid time off for birthdays, a paid holiday closure…
Fluency in English and Spanish, both verbal and written.
Fluency in English and Spanish, both verbal and written.
Please email a thoughtful cover letter and resume to Maria Chan, HR & Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject heading “YES ALP Specialist”. Desired start date is early September 2021.
Please email a thoughtful cover letter and resume to Maria Chan, HR & Operations Manager at email@example.com, subject heading “YES ALP Specialist”. Desired start date is…