155 North Beacon Street
ABOUT CRADLES TO CRAYONS:
Cradles to Crayons (C2C) was founded in 2002, with the mission of providing children from birth through age 12, living in homeless or low-income situations, with the essential items they need to thrive - at home, at school and at play. C2C is at the cutting edge of volunteer management, and through its “Giving Factory” provides unique, hands-on opportunities for people to help other people. Headquartered in Boston, MA, C2C opened in Philadelphia in 2007 and in Chicago in 2016.
How Our Model Works: Cradles to Crayons collects new and nearly new children's items through grassroots community drives and corporate donations. Donations are then processed and packaged by volunteers, and are distributed to disadvantaged children through a collaborative network of social service agencies and school partners. C2C supplies these items free of charge by engaging and connecting communities that have with communities that need.
Cradles to Crayons meets a critical need as many children 12 years old and younger live in low-income and/or homeless situations. These living conditions can have negative effects on self-esteem as poverty can lead to increased social and emotional behavioral challenges; it impacts early education since half of children living in poverty start 1st grade up to 2 years developmentally behind their peers; and safety may be compromised as children living in poverty have increased risk of injury.
While meeting the immediate needs of low-income children, Cradles to Crayons also sets a foundation for lasting change by providing meaningful, tangible volunteer opportunities to thousands of individuals and families and hundreds of corporations each year by organizing clothing collections, hosting fundraisers, or working in the "Giving Factory" warehouse.
Cradles to Crayons earned the highest possible rating from Charity Navigator for several consecutive years. Only 2% of charities rated have received this distinction, differentiating C2C from its peers, exemplifying the high standard of service at C2C, and indicating that C2C outperforms most other charities in America.
Volunteers are the engine that power Cradles to Crayons, from the acquisition of product at community drives, through the processing of donations, to the packaging of KidPacks. The Group Volunteer Leader conveys the Cradles to Crayons’ mission and quality standards, and provides an exceptional volunteer experience, before, during, and following the volunteer visit, to individuals and groups alike. A high quality experience for the volunteers is necessary to ensure the inflow of product, funds and volunteer labor to fulfill our mission.
The team of Group Volunteer Leaders oversees many of our 30,000 volunteers each year through all steps of their engagement process within our “Giving Factory” and special events. They are responsible for conveying the Cradles to Crayons’ mission and quality standards by providing a high quality orientation and wrap-up at giving factory shifts and events. They have a demonstrated ability to work with volunteers of all ages and abilities, and with a group of up to 30 individuals at a time.
This Group Volunteer Leader team has responsibility to ensure all stations are ‘volunteer ready’, efficient and safe by following work station guidelines and expectations, and will individually have specific responsibility for two to three stations. There is some physical work involved.
Group Volunteer Leaders are expected to maintain an outgoing, positive attitude throughout the volunteer experience. The role is approximately 40 hours per week, based around the Giving Factory volunteer shifts. The usual roster will be Tuesday through Saturday, with some required Monday and Sunday shifts as well as occasional evenings.
- Model and lead a positive “One Cradles” culture, underpinned by Cradles’ Cultural Values and related behaviors.
- Collaborate with Volunteer Engagement Team to meet annual Kidpack goal.
- Collaborate with Volunteer Engagement Team to meet annual Fundraising goal.
Quality Volunteer Experience
· Achieve a high level of customer service during all stages of the volunteer experience.
· Use effective verbal skills to communicate the mission of Cradle to Crayons, quality standards and the shift’s volunteers activity.
· Treat Volunteers appropriately and respectfully, and customize volunteer experience to reflect ages and abilities
· Act in the best interest of volunteers, the organization and help volunteers to achieve the best possible end-product, having the flexibility to change the process to meet an individual groups’ needs.
· Work closely with Champion volunteers, checking in before and after shifts to communicate shift goals, etc.
· Ensure stations are safe, clean and ‘volunteer ready’.
· Assist in the station training of Champion volunteers, staff and interns.
· Following assigned volunteer shift responsibilities regarding pre-shift, shift engagement and wrap-up, post-shift including:
- Forum readiness
- Station readiness
- Providing an engaging volunteer warm-up activity
- Clear and engaging overall volunteer orientation
- Lead volunteers in a work station
- Clear and engaging wrap up for the shift
- Ensure station is reset for the following volunteer shift
Giving Factory Station and Warehouse maintenance
· Ensure assigned stations are maintained at a ‘volunteer ready’ state
· Ensure inventory guidelines are followed in the assigned stations
· Collaborate with other GVL’s to ensure unassigned stations are ‘volunteer ready’ and inventory guidelines are followed, as needed.
· Work with Operations Team to ensure successful preparation for C2Cs event both on and off site.
· Assist in the general cleanliness and efficiency of the Giving Factory.
· Complete weekly assigned projects.
· Read, speak and write fluent English, with great written and verbal skills.
· Work proactively, independently, work under supervision, and work in a high energy and team-based and goal-oriented environment.
· Communicate with coworkers, volunteers, and all visitors to the “Giving Factory” in a courteous and professional manner.
· Work evening and weekend hours as necessary.
· Easily walk up and down stairs, bend down, reach, push and pull and lift up to 30 lbs.
DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH:
Diversity and Inclusiveness are core values at Cradles to Crayons, and we continuously strive to be a team where everyone feels welcome and supported. It is the policy of Cradles to Crayons to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information and/or any other protected characteristic under applicable law. Individuals from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
This is a warehouse environment and normal changes in temperature are to be expected while working inside the warehouse or outside, on or around the loading dock. There are no hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made by Cradles to Crayons which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others, or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
Please send a cover letter and resume with relevant experience to https://www.cradlestocrayons.org/what-we-do/careers/
Minimum Education Required