207 E Buffalo St Suite 211
9to5 is seeking our next extraordinary Executive Director to lead us in our work to win justice for working women. For this pivotal role, 9to5 seeks a visionary, principled and courageous leader and spokesperson with the ability to engage and inspire all those impacted and build strategic alignment to advance 9to5’s mission. Applicants should be deeply and demonstrably committed to 9to5's mission.
9to5 lifts women’s voices, joins diverse communities, and organizes together to win a world of justice and equality for everyone. It’s a space where people get involved and take action together to make a better world. For 45 years, 9to5’s work has built collective power with women in this country who struggle for basic rights. We work to win equal pay, paid family leave and paid sick days, affordable housing and transit and other issues that impact working women and their communities. Our current annual budget is $2.2M, with a staff of 20, based in our offices in Atlanta, Denver and Milwaukee.
Job Qualifications and Experience
The ideal Executive Director candidate will be an authentic, inclusive and democratic leader with a clear understanding of the complex issues impacting working women in the United States. The person should be adept at working strategically, and able to effectively communicate and engage a wide range of supporters, funders, decision-makers and all those impacted at the local, state and federal levels.
While no candidate will embody every quality, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- The capacity to be innovative and resourceful, with the ability take big ideas and ideals and to convert them into solid strategies and action and grow our national visibility.
- A reputation as a principled strategic collaborator with keen listening skills and the ability to foster alignment across groups and galvanize all those impacted to action.
- Effective communication skills across wide audiences and diverse constituencies and all those impacted.
- Excellent intellectual, analytical and strategic thinking skills with the ability to act persuasively and advance strategic opportunities.
- Skills in talent management, team building, mentoring and developing staff leadership to create a robust leadership pipeline.
- A demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and dismantling all systems of oppression.
- A high level of emotional intelligence and capacity for self-reflection and self-improvement.
- Familiarity with facilitative leadership techniques that encourage others to share leadership.
- Public presence and media savvy in the interest of furthering 9to5’s mission and goals.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- A track record of senior leadership in a mission-driven organization.
- Experience managing institutional growth and change.
- Experience managing and developing a diverse staff.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in social change movement work.
- Fundraising ability, experience and enthusiasm including a demonstrated track record of raising significant funds from a variety of sources.
- Financial management and budget experience with a willingness and ability to develop further knowledge and expertise as required.
- Demonstrated experience building effective partnerships and coalitions among organizations and activists working at all levels, from the grassroots to national level.
9to5 offers excellent health and family benefits and paid time off.
Level of Language Proficiency
English; Spanish proficiency a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Position may be based in any of the following cities: Atlanta, GA; Denver, CO; or Milwaukee, WI.
9to5 is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Strategies for Social Change® (SSC), has been retained to conduct the leadership transition and search. SSC is a woman of color led capacity building practice working exclusively with social justice organizations. Nominations, inquiries and application materials should be submitted in confidence to: email@example.com
Applications should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a résumé, three references and a cover letter that addresses
- Why you are interested in working with 9to5 and the constituents we serve;
- What you believe you would bring to the position of Executive Director; and
- How your past accomplishments are relevant to this position.
All inquiries and applications will be kept confidential. Applications will be reviewed and eligible candidates will be contacted about interviews. Résumés will be reviewed on a rolling basis; we expect to receive résumés from many qualified applicants and therefore highly recommend submission as soon as possible and no later than May 13, 2018.
For more information about 9to5 visit our website at 9to5.org.