Part Time Temporary
1065 Avenue of the Americas
The Bryant Park Corporation seeks part-time, seasonal staff for the outdoor Reading Room in Bryant Park.
Bryant Park seeks seasonal staff responsible for overseeing the outdoor, open-air reading space, dedicated to providing free use of newspapers, magazines, books, and children’s literature to park visitors. The Reading Room also hosts an extensive literary series, which includes author appearances, poetry readings, children’s events, and more. The Reading Room Coordinator serves as an ambassador of the park and interacts with the public
Responsibilities includes: set up of Reading Room at start of day; maintaining appearance of the space throughout the day by wiping down tables, rearranging chairs, straightening books, picking up liter, neatly storing equipment not in use; engaging the public, addressing questions, and ensuring respectful use of the space; considering ways to improve the activities offered to the public, then reporting observations accurately and comprehensively to supervisor.
Coordinators are expected to uphold the employer’s mission: to create a rich and dynamic visual, cultural, and intellectual outdoor experience for New Yorkers and visitors alike in one of the greatest public spaces in the world. Applicants can preview the Reading Room space by visiting bryantpark.org and looking under the ‘Things To Do’ tab.
Reading Room Coordinators work 25-34 hours per week.
• BA preferred – consideration given to undergraduate work plus experience in recreation, library or park management
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work in a team environment
• Excellent social skills and an ability to interact with the public
• Willingness to get hands dirty
• Outgoing, playful, mature, positive and proactive
• Experience in customer service
• Responsible and detail-oriented with excellent observation skills
• Ability and willingness to work exclusively outside and stand for long periods of time
• Ability and willingness to work weekends
• Strong organizational skills required to help maintain space and keep area orderly
• Communicate politely and positively with the public and serve as an ambassador of the park
• Maintain / clean reading room carts containing books, publications, and overall appearance of space
• Report inventory needs and behavior incidents in a timely manner
• Record and report the number of visitors to the Reading Room space
• Assist management with support of daily literary programs
• On a daily basis, open and close carts for public use
• Assist Reading Room users with locating materials
• Take direction from management staff regarding special assignments
Position begins with a three-week trial period. Reading Room Coordinators who receive a passing evaluation after 3 weeks will be invited to continue in their position. Position generally runs from April to first week of October. Hours are 10am to 7pm with some exceptions for special events. Shifts available are 3 days a week, Thursday through Saturday, or 4 days a week, Sunday through Wednesday. Preference will be given to candidates with more flexibility in their schedules, and a genuine desire to work hard.
To apply, email resume and cover letter as attachments with “Reading Room Coordinator” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications that do not meet these requirements will be discarded.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email resume and cover letter as attachments with “Reading Room Coordinator" in the subject line to email@example.com. Applications that do not meet these requirements will be discarded.