Position Title: Research Analyst, Next-Gen Digital Learning Infrastructure
Department: Reports To: Date:
Office of the President
NEBHE President and Senior Director of Policy & Research November 4, 2020
Employment Status: This is a 9-month, part- or full-time position as a temporary staff member or consultant; hours per week are negotiable. Remote work arrangements will be considered.
Established in 1955 by six visionary New England governors, the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) is a regional compact that works in New England and across that nation to help leaders assess, develop and implement effective education practices and to promote the efficient sharing of education resources and strengthen the relationship between higher education and the regional economy. NEBHE is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization.
This individual will assist the NEBHE president with a special 9-month project titled:
Envisioning Next-Gen Digital Learning Infrastructure for U.S. Colleges and Universities.
The purpose of the project is to accelerate U.S. higher education institutions’ (HEIs’) awareness of, and collaborative investment in, future-oriented, learner-centered infrastructure needed to keep pace with the changing needs of learners globally. The project will seek to harness insights from leading experts and multiple sectors to catalyze higher education leaders’ consideration of what the next generation of learning infrastructure—digital and other—might look like and how it can be more equitably and sustainably pursued.
The successful candidate will be an individual who has outstanding research and analysis skills, can think critically, communicate complex ideas and technical information in easy-to-understand ways and work independently. The analyst will be responsible for generating relevant primary and secondary research, conducting surveys and other data gathering, synthesizing findings and drafting key deliverables.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide project management to the initiative, managing key activities, deliverables and action plans
- Assist in the research, development and dissemination of timely and high-impact whitepaper reports, presentations and multimedia tools, including:
• Trend analyses
- Promising or innovative practices or programs
- Key indicators and emerging practices Support the initiative’s primary goals, including:
- Creating shared language, definitions and frameworks for understanding next-gen digital learning infrastructure (NGDLI) for HEIs
- Broaden awareness of scenarios for what the future of learning will look like and the roles NGDLI might play in achieving it
- Gather expert and visionary thinking to spotlight best-in-class examples, emerging technologies, shifting trends and opportunities
- Strengthen strategic HEI governance by senior leaders, governing boards and policy leaders and the proactive pursuit of improved digital learning infrastructure
- Facilitate collaborations and strategic alliances to support equitable and efficient development of NGLDI
- Assist the NEBHE President with:
- Interview scheduling
- Gathering data and research from higher education leaders, education
- technology leaders, corporate chief learning officers and other external
- parties, TBD
- Development of webinars, meetings, conferences and events
- Development of current knowledge of key issues and developments in
- higher education policy and practice related to NGDLI
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise and curate content for relevant meetings, conferences and events
- Represent NEBHE in meetings and research engagements with key collaborators
- Maintain current knowledge of issues and topics through review of literature and
- participation in meetings, seminars and programs related to duties and
- Ability to: communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; develop positive
- public relations for NEBHE; and interact effectively with a wide variety of people
- Promote and maintain positive relationships for NEBHE, regionally and
- Knowledge of and experience in social science research, including design methodology, data collection, using descriptive and inferential statistics to analyze data and drawing conclusions
- Understanding of higher education governance structures and policies
- A strong understanding of education technology and emerging technologies
- Understanding of the postsecondary education credentialing landscape
- Knowledge of major issues and challenges facing higher education
- Knowledge of information and data sources related to higher education,
- demography, workforce, economy and other relevant policy issues
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Well-organized, with great attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to communicate technical, complex or unfamiliar information to a variety
- of audiences through writing, visual and oral presentation
- High-level proficiency with MS Office, social media and multimedia tools
- Proficiency with data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau) preferred
- Proficiency with statistical software (e.g. STATA, R, SPSS) and survey tools
- (Qualtrics) preferred
- Knowledge of database management and website design preferred
- A sense of humor and ability to work collaboratively
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
- WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to work in a virtual environment when required by health considerations and collaboration needs.
- Normal office environment, not subject to extremes in temperature, noise, odors, etc.
- Regularly uses computer keyboard, requiring eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity.
- More than half of time spent in normal office setting.
- Carry, lift boxes of materials when traveling.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
- Interested applicants should submit a cover letter that summarizes qualifications and work experience, along with a detailed resume to:
- Marla Phippen
- New England Board of Higher Education firstname.lastname@example.org
- Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- NEBHE actively seeks to achieve a diverse workforce. It provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, genetics, protected military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.