Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
District of Columbia
The State Innovation Exchange (SiX) is a national resource and strategy center that supports state legislators in advancing and defending progressive policies across the country, including supporting and advancing the rights of workers and working families, protecting the environment, strengthening our democracy, and defending civil rights. With a long-term vision of building progressive power and infrastructure at the state level, SiX assists legislators who are working to move a progressive agenda forward in the states and it has built a network of more than 1,500 elected officials who represent all 50 states.
SiX’s work in the states is informed by its expertise and track record of advancing a progressive, people-driven agenda through the legislative and governing process. SiX supports state legislators by making available top-notch research, training, policy expertise, communications support, political strategy, and a space to network and share ideas. Additionally, SiX annually convenes hundreds of legislators from across the country for a conference that provides opportunities to network and collaborate, discuss the lessons learned from different approaches in each state, provide education on important issues, and share effective tools and strategies that strengthen the policymaking process.
The Executive Director Role
The Executive Director (ED) is the key management leader of the State Innovation Exchange. S/he is responsible for overseeing the administration, fundraising, programs, strategic plan and direction of the organization. Other key duties include overseeing marketing to new communities and expansion and support of SiX’s state legislator network. The position works closely with and reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Mission and Strategy: The Executive Director works with the Board and staff to ensure that SiX’s mission is fulfilled through strategic programs and ongoing support of state legislators. S/he is responsible for the strategic planning and direction of the organization. S/he ensures that SiX’s programs reflect and carry out the mission of the organization. The ED also works with the Board and staff to ensure effective management of SiX’s brand and maintenance of SiX as a key component of the national progressive infrastructure. The ED serves as SiX’s primary spokesperson to the media and the organization’s constituencies.
Operations and Financial Management: The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of the organization. The ED ensures that all grants are executed according to grant requirements and s/he is responsible for the hiring and retention of talented, competent and qualified staff. With staff support, the ED provides financial information, including annual budgets and monthly financial information, to the Board of Directors. The ED ensures that SiX operates within the approved budget and has adequate financial controls.
Fundraising: The Executive Director represents the organization to funders in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision and plans. The ED works with staff to chart the organization’s course in fundraising/development and develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors. S/he will work with staff to develop and execute strategies to cultivate donors and solicit contributions to support the organization. S/he evaluates the effectiveness of the organization’s development program and reports back to the Board while eliciting the best thinking and involvement of each board member.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate for this position will be an inspirational, dynamic, resourceful, and flexible leader who has a successful track record working to advance progressive values and policies; as well as experience with state-based legislative work. Candidates’ skills and experience should include:
- At least 10 years of senior management experience in either political or non-profit organizations.
- Commitment to and experience in collaborative leadership with an active and engaged Board of Directors. Experience working with a Board of Directors in shaping a vision for an organization.
- Demonstrated experience and capacity to raise funds from individual donors and foundations.
- Proven successful experience in budgeting and financial management.
- Knowledge of state and federal policy, especially as federal policy interacts with state policy.
- Knowledge of and demonstrable commitment to key progressive issues, including but not limited to protecting the environment, defending women’s reproductive rights, securing workers’ rights and policies that benefit working families, and expanding voting rights.
- A track record of innovation; an entrepreneurial spirit and creativity to envision the future with demonstrated leadership; and administrative skills and experience managing growth and change.
- A commitment to building a diverse organizational team.
- Exceptional communications skills including public speaking and experience working with traditional and digital media.
- Proven relationship builder with strong interpersonal skills, experience in coalition building, and working with multicultural partners.
- Strong management skills that support staff and foster collaboration; problem solving and decision-making experience.
- Political savvy and ability to maneuver through complex politics effectively.
- Intellectually curious with an open mind and a good sense of humor
- Ability to travel.
SiX offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance; medical and dependent care Flexible Savings Accounts; life and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) plan with match; and generous paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For consideration please e-mail: email@example.com subject line: Executive Director search.
SiX is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based upon gender, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other factor protected by law.