3400 Bryan Point Road
Position Overview The Accokeek Foundation is seeking a full-time Education Coordinator to join its education team in Piscataway Park, a national park on the Maryland shore of the Potomac River. This position will bring a passion for nature as well as expertise in best practices in outdoor education to the Foundation’s programming, with an emphasis on expanding environmentally focused activities for children, adults, and families at the park.
● Provide activity training to Foundation staff in order to implement programming.
● Develop and implement a range of environmental education activities, including but not limited to school, public, and event programming.
● Develop and share an understanding of the Foundation’s agricultural spaces through regular agriculture work shifts in order to support agricultural staff in providing educational programming in garden and livestock spaces.
● Develop, organize, and implement the Foundation’s educational programming, both K-12 and public, including but not limited to: school tours, teacher professional development, and educational events.
● Support implementation of current program offerings including Eco-Explorers: CTW and group tours by learning all aspects, including introduction, and being able to lead programs when required.
● Grow student visitation by raising visibility of Eco-Explorers as a signature field trip in the region, and by finding ways to connect with teachers and partners who prioritize environmental literacy.
● Support teachers who choose to extend Eco-Explorers concepts into their classrooms by creating and updating online curriculum for Eco-Explorers.
● Coordinate and execute education outreach activities to promote and market visitor services.
● Stay current with Education Standards used in MD, DC, and VA schools.
● Develop, organize, and implement Homeschool programs.
● Identify funding for environmental education opportunities and support grant applications and administration as needed.
● Serve as coordinator for the Foundation’s summer high school internship program, Agriculture Conservation Corps (ACC), providing administrative and logistical support to the Director of Agriculture and acting as team leader for ACC interns.
● Other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications
● A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in Education, Environmental Sciences, or related field.
● Experience in farm/garden/outdoor education and community engagement.
● Experience designing and delivering engaging and meaningful learning activities that utilize best practices in environmental education.
● Experience in curriculum development, evaluation, reporting, and management.
● Able to present complex concepts to diverse audiences, using strong written and verbal communications skills.
● Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work with students, parents, teachers, staff, volunteers, and partners.
● Able to lift 50 lbs and prepared to engage in outdoor work in most weather conditions.
● Proficient using basic desktop programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, 40-hour a week, exempt position and includes at least one weekend day per month during the interpretive season (March-December). Starting salary range is $30-35k annually, and includes a comprehensive benefits package. The Accokeek Foundation provides a generous employee benefit package including health, disability and life insurance, paid vacation, paid holiday and sick leave, and a retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a resume and cover letter describing how your experience, skills, and interests make you uniquely qualified for this position by email with the subject line “Education Coordinator” to email@example.com.