Details: The appointee's compensation package is competitive and will be based on his/her experience.
The New York City Charter School Center (Charter Center) is a non-profit organization established in 2004 by several leading foundations to foster a high-quality charter school sector in NYC.
The Charter Center envisions a future in which all of New York’s students have access to a first-rate public education, so that, no matter their background, they can participate in society on fair terms.
The Charter Center works for that future by supporting charter schools at every stage. We help new charter schools get started, support existing schools and build community and legislative support so that highly effective schools can flourish. These schools, in turn, show us what is possible in public education.
Additional background information can be found at www.nycCharterSchools.org
The New York City Charter Center is seeking a savvy Communications and Media Relations Coordinator with excellent writing/editing and public relations skills to articulate the Charter Center’s voice, market the organization’s work and promote charter schools’ successes. The Communications and Media Relations Coordinator will report to the Director of Marketing and Communications and will work on a variety of assignments, individually and in collaboration with other department members.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Draft, edit and proofread a variety of the organization’s electronic and printed communications including, weekly e-blasts to the sector, newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, press releases and statements.
- Assist with marketing of the Charter Center’s programs through online and printed materials, advertising, earned media, direct mail, community outreach and various strategic partners.
- Write content for the Charter Center’s e-communications, website and social media outlets as well as assist in video and commercial productions.
- Assist in organizing editorial meetings and circulate pitches to the local press in coordination with the Director and media consultants.
- Maintain Charter Center’s media database and press archives. Assist in the day-to-day management of the Charter Center’s media hits, blog entries and statements from the CEO and prepare media packets for press, Board, etc.
- Organize public events in collaboration with the Charter Center’s various departments, external strategic partners, schools and media.
- Provide communications and writing support to the Charter Center’s various departments, including, the Policy and Advocacy Department, and the Special Education Collaborative in collaboration with the Director.
- Function as the primary contact with vendors and printers assisting the Director.
- Track the Charter Center’s and charter sector’s media presence and mentions online and in social media.
- Maintain and update Charter Center’s contact list.
This position requires strong organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to work on multiple projects under tight deadlines. A successful candidate is one who is self-motivated, reliable, responsible and analytical. Among your accountabilities, excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential to conveying ideas clearly and interacting effectively with all levels and functions of the organization. Candidate must have the ability to be direct, yet diplomatic and professional, when addressing issues or deficiencies.
Candidates must have:
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in communications and/or media relations.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Event management experience and strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated record of successful project management and ability to initiate contacts with the press.
- Familiarity in writing for and using best practices in electronic communications and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- A belief in the Charter Center’s mission and charter schools’ work.
- Experience in working within the non-profit sector or education is preferred.
Please note: Writing samples will be required upon request.
The Charter Center offers generous medical and dental benefits and a matching 401(k) plan.
Minimum Education Required