The controller is responsible for assisting the Chief Financial Officer in the oversight of an $11M grants portfolio, managing federal government grant audits (A133) and overall management of all financial areas for Brooklyn Legal Corporation A.
This position requires financial analysis, problem solving, data analysis and technological skills.
The ideal candidate will have broad knowledge of public (city, state and federal) and private grant and contract management; advanced technological skills with financial tracking and grant management systems and an interest in being part of an organization committed to creating communities of opportunity, equity, and social justice.
- Financial management of Federal, State, and local grant budgets and reporting. Ensure proper tracking and reconciliation of grants using an automated fund accounting system, and compliance with all fiscal reporting requirements, as delineated in agency contracts.
- Overall responsibility for grant-related post-award functions, including but not limited to A133 audits, budget and expense analysis, periodic invoicing, financial reporting, labor distribution changes, reconciliations, budget modifications and grant closeout functions
- Analyze the grant awards and ensure that all the allowable grant expenses (personnel & OTPS) including the indirect rates are properly budgeted and accounted for.
- Assist in the oversight of all accounting aspects of the agency; including, but not limited to, monthly financial statements, cash flow projections, agency-wide budget vs. actual expenditure analysis and other reports.
- Other duties as required to meet the mission of the agency and/or the finance department.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Complete understanding and documented experience managing a diverse portfolio of institutional grants, including Federal, New York State & City grants and audits.
- Strong analytical, presentation, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated experience with MS Office package software applications with advanced skills using Microsoft Excel (pivot tables, VLOOKUP’s, if statements) and other financial management systems.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and summarize financial records for accuracy and conformance to procedures, rules, and regulations
- Ability to effectively communicate financial information to program managers
- Ability to work comfortably with staff at all levels of the organization