165 Eldridge St.
Founded 1965, the Chinese-American Planning Council, Inc.’s (CPC’s) mission is to promote social and economic empowerment of Chinese American, immigrant and low-income communities.
The Adult Literacy Program opened its doors to students in 1998 as an expansion of CPC’s Education and Career Services (ECS). The program’s creation came from community members who were determined to overcome language barrier and assimilate into the American mainstream. Since then, we have seen enormous growth in our number of students and the scope of our services, providing classes for over 700 students in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens.
Title: ESOL Instructor
Class 1: 10:00am-1:00pm, M-Th
Class 2: 1:30pm to 4:30 pm, M-Th
Class 3: 6:00pm-8:30pm, M-F
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
In addition to planning, preparing, and delivering ESOL lessons to adult immigrant students, other duties include:
- Managing classroom paperwork – including student attendance sheets, progress notes, student works, make-up session schedules, etc.
- Assisting the Literacy Program Coordinator with student recruitment events
- Working with volunteers and teaching assistants for in-class support and supplemental learning opportunities
- Attending professional development sessions and monthly Literacy Program staff meetings
- Supporting division- and agency-wide efforts that advance CPC’s mission and vision and other duties as assigned by the Literacy Program Coordinator
Experience & Qualifications:
· Minimum Bachelor's Degree
· Minimum of 1 year teaching/classroom experience
· Experience with the immigrant community and adult students useful
· Certificate in TEFL, TESOL, or related teaching field preferred
· BEST Plus Test Administration Certificate preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How To Apply:
Interested applicants should e-mail a résumé and cover letter to Lynn Nakazawa at email@example.com with the position's title and location in the subject line. Applicants should the class schedule they are applying for.