Details: Clean Virginia offers a highly competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience.
Director of Organizing
The Organizing Director will hold primary responsibility for the development and implementation of a robust volunteer and community engagement plan to promote Clean Virginia’s mission of clean energy and clean governance. They identify, recruit and train volunteers and activists to carry out year-round advocacy campaigns in support of Clean Virginia’s legislative goals of ending legalized corruption and promoting good governance and clean energy. They lead the development and execution of statewide metrics-driven campaigns to ensure objectives are met. They spearhead the development of policy campaigns in collaboration with partners, organizers and local elected officials. They are the primary contact for political organizing campaigns. The director manages data and drives the target universes for organizing efforts and assures that organizing goals incorporate and elevate racial, economic and environmental justice.
Duties and responsibilities
● Develop statewide campaign plans for and evaluate their success in constituent engagement and activism, incorporating strategic plan goals and objectives that advance the mission of Clean Virginia.
● Volunteer management: implement a program for volunteer and activist engagement including method and structure for activist engagement including rewarding and mobilizing volunteer leaders.
● Coalition Management: Build and manage a statewide coalition of community organizations and other statewide partners to broaden support for issues of concern to Clean Virginia.
● Targeting: Identify specific target areas for field and grassroots organizing efforts to maximize electoral, legislative, and other policy initiative success and serve as the Clean Virginia data lead in the management of voter and activist lists and databases.
● Work closely with the Political Director in the implementation of statewide electoral strategies and plans to include targeting, organizing goals and tools such as text and phone, voter registration, voter education and GOTV efforts.
● Work closely with the Communications Director to develop or participate in the development of grassroots issue-focused and candidate focused campaign materials to include telephone scripts, doorbell literature, mailers and email alerts, and online campaigns.
● Ensure Clean Virginia’s strategic imperative of equity, diversity and inclusion is included in organizing efforts.
● Ensure compliance with federal and state regulations regarding 501(c)(4) and PAC activities.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or 8 years of relevant professional experience.
● 2-4 years professional experience with grassroots, nonprofit advocacy and/or campaign organizing is required. Superior communication and interpersonal skills a must; ability to work with multiple stakeholder groups across a decentralized organization also necessary.
● Knowledge and experience in Virginia political environment.
● A collegial and collaborative work style, innovative thinking, strong work ethic, enthusiastic attitude, and a sense of humor are essential.
● Strong administrative skills including management, operational budgeting, computer word processing, database management and policy development.
● Proficiency with organizing platforms such as NGP VAN.
● A flexible approach to work, with a willingness to travel, as needed, and participate in programs occurring after typical business hours.
● Strong demonstrated interest in government transparency, clean energy and the mission of Clean Virginia.
Clean Virginia offers excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required