MISSION STATEMENT: Oliver Scholars prepares high-achieving Black and Latinx students from underserved New York City communities for success at top independent schools and prestigious colleges. We provide crucial support for our Scholars so they can realize their full potential and ultimately give back to the city, the nation, and the world.
JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
REPORT TO: Director of Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs
POSITION TYPE: Seasonal — Autumn, Winter, & Spring
SUMMARY: Oliver Scholars seeks a current college student to assist the administration of the Scholar Immersion Program (SIP). The Administrative Assistant is responsible for ensuring an environment of community, safety, accountability, discipline, and fun for students. This position reports to the Director of Academic Affairs and is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of our summer immersion program.
The administrative assistant will take attendance, call families regarding absenteeism, supervise lunch, obtain materials for teachers, hand out metro cards, track academic progress as needed
▪ Available in-person Saturdays October 2021 to June 2022
▪ Supervise daily arrival and dismissal
▪ Record attendance and communicate late arrivals to administrators and absences to parents
▪ Email students with attendance updates as needed
▪ Support faculty in all courses and with facilitation of lessons when needed
▪ Assist faculty in monitoring student attentiveness, behavior, and progress during classes
▪ Check in with students and offer support in managing their various responsibilities
▪ Coordinate with faculty, TAs, and Oliver Scholars leadership to support students.
▪ Supervise student meals when applicable
▪ Required attendance at all orientation sessions, pre-program meetings, faculty meetings, and post-program meetings
▪ Other duties, as assigned
▪ Proof of Covid-19 vaccination
▪ Current college student in good academic standing at an accredited degree program
▪ Strong organizational skills
▪ Conflict management experience and public speaking experience a plus
▪ A mission-driven individual with a belief in and commitment to Oliver’s mission and values
▪ A flexible, creative individual able to find alternative ways to connect with students
▪ Emotionally mature with a good sense of humor and the flexibility and sensitivity to work with diverse personalities and situations
▪ A hard worker with a high energy level; a “doer” with a willingness to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of activities
▪ A good listener who is comfortable receiving feedback
▪ Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
▪ Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; willing to learn new techniques and procedures; Manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
▪ Innovation & Initiative - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities.
▪ Planning/Organizing & Project Management - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
▪ Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
HOW TO APPLY: For consideration, please forward your cover letter and resume to Teacherjobs@Oliverscholars.org Please note, “Job Title – [Your Last Name]” in the subject line of your email. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
COMPENSATION: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success. Oliver Scholars is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, citizenship status, or current employment status. Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
MISSION STATEMENT: Oliver Scholars prepares high-achieving Black and Latinx students from underserved New York City communities for success at top independent schools and prestigious colleges. We provide…