Job Title: Director of Strategic Initiatives and Advancement
Supervisor: Head of School
Start Date/Hours: July 1 - June 30; 9:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday
Description: Codman’s inaugural Director of Strategic Initiatives and Advancement, designs, leads and implements Codman Academy’s resource development strategy in service of the school’s mission and vision. In collaboration with school leadership, board members, and the wider school community the Director of Strategic Initiatives and Advancement identifies emerging strategic initiatives, sets fundraising goals and drives communication. Through the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of key resources (e.g. annual, endowment and capital gifts) the Director ensures that Codman Academy thrives.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Design and lead in implementation of overall external communications strategy (website, social media, newsletters, mailings), in collaboration with Head of School
- Lead development of external school reports (calendar, annual report, charter renewal application)
- Develop marketing materials for the school
- Oversee the development of emerging initiatives, strengthening academic, post-graduate planning, and student support services to advance the school’s mission and vision, in collaboration with Head of School and school leadership team
- Strategic Plan
- Oversee implementation of 5-year strategic plan
- Lead internal team in implementing and reporting on assigned action steps
- Provide regular updates to leadership team and Boards
- Support political advocacy work of the school, in collaboration with Head of School
- Design and lead in implementation of overall fundraising strategy (e.g. annual fund, capital campaign, endowment), in collaboration with Head of School and key stakeholders
- Identify, develop, and cultivate major gifts prospects – individual/corporate, government, and foundation, and develop and execute closing, and stewardship, and growth strategies tailored to each
- Oversee Advancement Status Report, tracking monthly benchmarks, monitoring progress against goals, and providing internal and external updates as requested
- Develop annual grant strategy and oversee successful management of all private, state and federal funding, with support from Advancement Associate
- Manage and support evolving Initiatives and Advancement team
- Build and manage Advancement budget
- Board Engagement
- Foster effective and collaborative communication amongst board members and between the board and senior leadership
- Coordinate monthly Board of Trustees meetings, quarterly Foundation Board meetings and regular joint committee meetings
- Oversee major annual events (e.g. annual event, graduation)
- Assist with additional school responsibilities
Community Engagement and Stewardship
- We are crew, not passengers, and we uphold that ideal as we support each other in reaching our shared goals.
- Every adult in our community is a teacher and a role model, and we model and implement Expeditionary Learning design principles and core practices to the best of our ability in our roles.
- Advance the educational mission of the school by participating in duties and responsibilities consistent with building, upholding and promoting a strong Codman community.
- We actively value and solicit feedback in order to improve performance.