108-25 62nd Drive
Borough of Queens
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, cost-effective management, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive com-munities. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
We are seeking a Director of Building Operations to provide leadership and oversee planning, direction, control and evaluation of all work associated with the day-to-day maintenance of all QCH owned and leased properties including the supervision of all custodial staff. Reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Supervise and trains a crew of six (6) custodial and maintenance staff; schedules and assures the provision of maintenance and repairs of all QCH owned and leased properties facilities.
- Conducts regular inspections of physical plants and building systems, including boiler rooms, electrical rooms, gas rooms, and sprinkler systems; maintains a schedule of preventive maintenance and upkeep.
- Creates and manages work orders using a cloud-based ticketing system.
- Performs maintenance and repair, including, patching and sheet rocking, painting, lock replacement and repair, carpentry, HVAC cleaning, filter and belt changes, floor care, plumbing and electrical work and preventive maintenance as assigned; proficient with standard power and hand tools.
- Maintains Certificate of Fitness/ S95 with The New York City Fire Department.
- Acts as liaison and arranges for service from outside contractors; procures bids for service agreements and oversees major repairs.
- Manages budgets; monitors expenditures and approves invoices.
- Inventories furniture, appliances, and equipment.
- Coordinates all room set-ups for daily activities; facilitates programmatic move-ins and move-outs and seasonal equipment transfer.
- Responds to all facility emergencies (i.e. on-call) and assists other Operations personnel with timely, cost effective resolutions or temporary set-ups.
- Responsible to provide fill-in coverage during staff absences (requires flexibility to open and close the buildings).
- Alerts Program Directors and Supervisor to maintenance problems.
- Attends support staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- High school diploma required; a 2-year degree in a related field of study preferred.
- At least 8 years of maintenance/custodial experience; with 3 years of supervisory experience or equivalent training and education.
- Must be fluent and have proper written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Bi-lingual, English/Spanish preferred.
- Able to lift at least 50 pounds; move furniture, carry equipment and climb stairs with ease.
- Proficient with MS Office/Windows.
- Must have strong mechanical aptitude and general knowledge of building systems and equipment.
- Clean and valid New York State Driver’s License required.
- Familiarity with OSHA and Welfare at Work standards.
- Flexibility to shift coverage, evenings and weekends as needed.
- Certificate of Fitness/S95 and knowledge of the Fire Department and Department of Building and Sanitation administrative codes.
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
SALARY: Low 50k’s, commensurate w/ experience
SCHEDULE: 35 Hours/Week (Some evenings/weekends/flexibility required)
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn up annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER v DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Director of Building Operations” to HRTalent@qchnyc.org.