The Fund for Public Health in New York City, (FPHNYC) is seeking a medical professional to assist with a grant-funded research project focused on Severe Maternal Morbidity (SMM) running through December 31, 2019. FPHNYC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. The Merck for Mothers SMM grant will strengthen and enhance the Bureau of Maternal, Infant and Reproductive Health’s (BMIRH) work on SMM. The goal of the project is to work with clinical and community partners to promote health equity and reduce racial/ethnic disparities in SMM in NYC.
The SMM consultant abstractor will work with the DOHMH to assist the Merck for Mothers SMM project to improve maternity care for NYC families through a quality improvement-focused initiative. The SMM consultant abstractor will review each hospital record that meets the criteria for SMM and will work closely with hospital staff for data abstraction. The consultant will also help integrate SMM data into the M3RC through their work supporting and enhancing the quality improvement (QI) efforts at participating hospitals.
Consultant Needs Include
· Complete trainings for data abstraction
· Attend meetings at hospitals to learn about the facility’s quality improvement (QI) process and to plan logistics of chart review and data abstraction
· Attend meetings with DOHMH to learn about the SMM and MM work and contribute input to these processes as requested
· Travel to hospitals to review SMM patient medical records, abstract data and enter it into the relevant database provided by DOHMH
· Compose de-identified case narratives and aggregate reports for quality assurance (QA) and QI meetings; work closely with hospital to assure case narratives meet hospital standards and requirements
· Attend QA/QI meetings at the hospital (as requested by QI committee) to present SMM case narratives and answer questions regarding the cases
· Clinical experience as a nurse, midwife or physician in maternal health with specific background in public health, with a focus on maternal and child health; familiarity with clinical terms, abbreviations, processes, medical charts, HIPPA compliance
· Background in QA/QI in clinical setting
· Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
· Strong sense of professionalism and attention to detail
· Ability to travel to and work onsite at area hospitals, as well as at DOHMH offices
· Strong attention to detail
· Excellent communication skills
· Ability to work well independently and with inter-disciplinary teams
· Proficient at writing and speaking in front of a group
· Comfortable using MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and common data entry platforms
· Availability at consistent day/time each week
Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience and education. It is anticipated that SMM data abstractor will work 30-50 hours per month, although there is no minimum guarantee of work.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send Resume, with Cover Letter, including salary requested and how your experience relates to this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Consultant_your name” in subject line.