As re:power enters this next phase of expansion, we seek a creative and dynamic leader who can help us bring our vision of inclusive politics to life through strategic programming. The Director of Civic Engagement Programs will be responsible for supervising staff and trainers towards program outcomes and professional growth, stewarding and growing partnerships with progressive advocacy and electoral groups, and developing and overseeing a portfolio of civic engagement programs ─ including campaign management and public leadership ─ to train and support field organizers, campaign leaders and candidates.
The role will lead on civic engagement program strategy and revenue generation, manage partner relationships, measure and drive programmatic impact, and represent the organization externally. This is a leadership role for a skilled program strategist who enjoys nurturing a shared vision and building long-term, collaborative partnerships.
The role reports directly to the Managing Director of Program and Partnerships and takes work direction from other members of the Executive Team. The Director of Civic Engagement Programs will have a deep personal and professional connection with re:power’s core values.
Primary Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
1. Programmatic Strategy and Success
a. Serve as the thought leader for civic engagement programming, both internally and externally, to increase re:power’s visibility and ensure strategic organizational growth
b. Collaborate with program team leadership and staff to develop and manage:
i. Goals, budgets and plans that meet strategic objectives, especially related to 501(c)(4) work
ii. Ladder of engagement that meaningfully engages training alumni over time, and deepens the bench of adjunct trainers
iii. Internal systems, structures and processes that strengthen our programmatic work
c. Manage staff towards program success and professional growth, including holding staff accountable to goals, and providing consistent feedback and coaching
d. Participate in director-level cross-organizational activities to inform and lead programmatic strategies and approaches
2. Partnership Cultivation and Relationship Management
a. Work with program team leadership to establish annual goals for partner cultivation and recruitment, particularly with 501(c)(4) groups, that is aligned with re:power’s values, priorities, and revenue forecast
b. Seek and develop new relationships with individuals, organizations and funders, collaborating with Development as needed
c. Secure new resources that expand our portfolio, especially 501(c)(4) by writing and negotiating contracts with clear goals, deliverables and budgets . Troubleshoot engagements as necessary
d. Serve as primary relationship manager and trusted advisor to a set of partners; develop deep understanding of their perspectives, needs and priorities; build credibility and ensure that partner standards are met on engagements
e. Work with Program Operations Manager to ensure that training logistics and finance processes are smooth from start to finish including travel bookings, and income and expense tracking
3. Program Development and Oversight
a. Ensure that curriculum and programs are responsive to shifts in the progressive ecosystem by monitoring and integrating innovations and best practices into programmatic activities
b. Work with program team leadership, partners and other stakeholders to develop and promote impactful civic engagement and public leadership programming that supports partners and participants in advancing their goals
c. Design and adapt curriculum to meet needs of partners and participants, to foster participant learning and growth and to center racial and gender justice
d. Recruit, manage and prepare trainers and coaches to deliver excellent, high-quality trainings
e. Oversee program budgets and ensure compliance across all contracts; track program status; identify and address variances and errors
4. Program Delivery
a. Execute on program and budget goals excellently, on time, and in accordance with expectations set with partners and program team leadership
b. Provide ongoing support, coaching and feedback to training teams as they deliver trainings, to foster their learning and growth
c. Oversee participant outreach, application and selection process
d. Ensure participants receive support outside the training, including responding to questions, sharing additional resources, connecting them to peers, etc.
e. Directly deliver trainings and facilitate meetings and coaching sessions, as needed
5. Evaluation and Future Planning
a. Gather feedback and review evaluation data (participant surveys, training team debriefs, etc.) to assess and improve the effectiveness of trainings. Collect photos, quotes and stories to use in reports to funders and partners
b. Revise curriculum based on feedback and provide program team leadership with recommendations to improve program process overall
c. Foster organizational knowledge-building and resource-sharing by providing timely, accurate program updates and reports to staff, Board, partners and funders, as needed
Required Qualifications — The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
Who you are:
● Self-motivated, innovative, and creative — can balance bold ideas and vision with ability to operationalize and execute
● Approach the work with a growth mindset and an openness to giving and receiving feedback for continuous learning and improvement
● Highly relational, with a strong belief in the importance of relationship-building for success, both internally and externally
● Track record of “rolling up your sleeves” and working collaboratively with others to bring projects to successful completion
● A great sense of humor — we’re serious about not taking ourselves too seriously
Your experience and skills:
● 7+ years of combined experience in organizing, electoral and/or advocacy work, of which at least 2 years in a training or facilitation role
● Proven leadership skills and management experience, including the ability to develop team performance and a genuine desire to coach and mentor
● Experience developing and driving impact on successful programs, including budget management, and able to inspire others to do the same
● Applies knowledge of pedagogy and adult learning techniques to curriculum design and to facilitation of trainings
● Superb organizational skills, with the ability to balance multiple and competing priorities, and effectively delegate tasks
● Grounds work in racial equity: analyzes and addresses the structural impacts of policies, practices, and decisions on different racial groups, and works to eliminate inequities;
● Demonstrated experience organizing with, and being a trusted partner in, predominantly Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC) communities
● Enjoys working in a dynamic start-up environment and managing the complexities of multi-stakeholder collaboration
● Demonstrated political acumen and intellectual curiosity, as well as the ability to view old problems with fresh perspectives
● Able to fluently navigate different movement spaces and issue areas, and bring various networks into relationship with re:power
● Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills
● Willingness to work non-standard hours, including weekends, and travel extensively when required
As re:power enters this next phase of expansion, we seek a creative and dynamic leader who can help us bring our vision of inclusive politics to life through strategic programming. The Director of Civic Engagement Programs will be…
re:power offers a comprehensive benefits package with excellent/health/life/disability insurance: 90% employer-paid health and dental insurance premiums for staff and their families; 100% employer-paid life and disability insurance; exceptionally generous and flexible paid time off; 401k retirement benefits with a 4% employer match; FSA enrollment; 12 weeks of paid parental leave; 12 weeks of paid sabbatical leave; and much more.
re:power offers a comprehensive benefits package with excellent/health/life/disability insurance: 90% employer-paid health and dental insurance premiums for staff and their…
Application Deadline and Instructions
This position is open until filled, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please email your letter of interest and resume in a single PDF document to email@example.com. Please specify “Director, Civic Engagement Programs” in your subject line. We also welcome applicants to also include additional relevant samples of their previous work — written reports, links to web-based publications, curriculum, meeting agendas, grant proposals, event invitations, podcasts, pitch letters, press releases, videos, and any other materials demonstrating communication skills or subject matter expertise are welcome.
Nonprofit talent agency People Power is the search partner for this hire. We appreciate your time and interest in contributing your talents to re:power’s mission. Thank you! You will receive an email auto-reply to your application. We wish we could respond personally to all applicants, but only those chosen to interview will be contacted. Please do not contact re:power directly to inquire about the status of your application.
Selected applicants will be invited to an initial brief screening interview via phone. Finalists will then be invited to 2–3 longer-form interviews via video with the Executive Director and other members of the executive team and staff. You may also be asked for additional writing samples and/or to meet informally with additional team members.
We welcome your interest and feedback. If you would like to make a confidential inquiry and/or have questions regarding your qualifications for this position, compensation or benefits, our process or internal timeline for hiring, or suggestions for how to improve this announcement or the opportunity itself, please email Kate Brumage at People Power: firstname.lastname@example.org
re:power is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly invite people of color, Native American and Indigenous people, immigrants, women, genderqueer and nonbinary people, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and others to apply for all open positions at re:power.
re:power offers a lively and highly rewarding professional environment; we are committed to creating a world where our lived experiences, perspectives and ideas are fully represented and that starts first within our organization. This position can be located anywhere in the United States convenient to regular travel.
For more about our work, go to www.repower.org
Application Deadline and Instructions
This position is open until filled, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please email your letter of interest and…