30 West Gude Drive
The ALS Association – DC/MD/VA Chapter
Administrative Assistant (Part-Time)
The ALS Association—DC/MD/VA Chapter, founded in 1991, is the only national not-for-profit health organization dedicated solely to the fight against ALS and battling the disease on every front. The ALS Association covers all the bases—research, community services, public education and advocacy with the commitment to provide help and hope to those facing the disease.
The Administrative Assistant plays an integral role in ensuring all support duties for the Chapter are in place to maximize efficiency. Duties also include providing direct support to the Senior Management team, Care Services Lead Staff and Coordinators. This position will also serve as the face of the organization through direct communication with patients, donors and other interested parties who contact the Chapter.
Reports to: Manager, Programs and Operation Administration
Status: Non- Exempt
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
· Provide outstanding customer service to patient, families, donors, staff and other interested parties by promptly, courteously, and accurately responding to verbal and written communications, serving as point of contact, and maintaining current knowledge of trends in administrative practices and processes.
· Assist in planning Care Services meetings, conferences and other educational opportunities.
· Generate and distribute reports in accordance with established timeframes.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office specifically with Excel, Powerpoint, and Word.
· Ability to work under and comply with continuous and multiple deadlines.
· Provide direct support to direct supervisor, Care Services Director and Care Services Coordinators.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Responsible for answering phone calls and greeting visitors, assuring that the phones are covered at all times.
· Analyzes and organizes care services operations and procedures, including information management, filing systems, requisition of supplies and bill reconciliation.
· Monitors the Care Services budget in partnership with Directors of Care Services and Manager, Programs and Operations Administration.
· Responsible for ordering pertinent Care Services manual for new patient packets.
· Receives and compiles all credit card check request and expense reports for all staff ensuring all Care Services team and in turn ensures Director of Care Services final approval and signatures are on all request to submit to the Chapter’s accountant.
· Process purchase orders, check requests, and other routine paperwork according to documented procedures.
· Process biographical data for new patients in an accurate and timely manner, in conjunction with database guidelines and processing. Update data for all patients when requested by Care Services team.
· Updates deceased status for patients who have passed away, as well as designating memorial gift acknowledgements.
· Assist Development team with entering check and other related materials in Convio and Raiser’s Edge when necessary.
Care Services Support
· Mails sympathy cards to families of recently deceased at designated intervals.
· Responsible for compiling and distributing information packets related to ALS, the Chapter, and our programs to new patients, families, caregivers and other interested parties.
· Facilitates the storage, pick-up, and delivery of equipment with durable medical equipment companies across MD/DC/VA
· Oversees intake and distribution of equipment in Rockville and Richmond Loan Closets.
· Manages all Chapter equipment donations and correspondence (thank you letters, tax forms, etc.) associated with equipment donations.
· Facilitates the approval of loan equipment repairs in collaboration with the Director of Care Services.
· Track DME equipment inventory via excel spreadsheet and assists in the ongoing restructuring of the inventory tracking process.
· Responsible for facilitating the distribution of monthly Care Services newsletter to our patients, families and other interested parties.
Desired Skills and Characteristics
· Self-starter who has strong customer services skills and desire to work directly with patients, families and community partners.
· Flexible and adaptable style, a person who can work in a changing and fast paced environment.
· Ability to quickly develop rapport and strong relationship with patients, families and community partners.
· Demonstrated success implementing processes to maximize efficiency.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with Chapter staff, board of directors, high level volunteers and donors.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Commitment to organization, attention to detail, highly efficient and conscientious about thorough follow-up.
- Skilled communicator with superior interpersonal, verbal and written skills.
- Able to handle important information and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to work under and comply with continuous and multiple deadlines and evolving priorities. Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational and writing skills as well as diligent attention.
- Bachelor’s degree desirable; or three to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Employee must be able to lift or move 20 pounds, infrequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Proficiency and an understanding of databases such as Raiser’s Edge, Convio, and Salesforce preferred.
- Must be available to work several weekends to attend special events and support the event staff.
- Qualified candidates must have the ability to successfully pass a background check.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Minimum Education Required