75 Arlington Street
Title: Development Director, MLK Boston
Department: Philanthropy Group
Reports To: TBF Vice President & Chief Philanthropy Officer
FLSA Classification: Exempt FTE: 1
For a defined period of twelve months, the Development Director for MLK Boston will raise funds (approximately $7M) for a new philanthropic initiative to create a memorial in honor of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and Coretta Scott King in Boston. The Development Director will be responsible for raising the necessary funding, serving as community liaison to solicit outside input, and providing regular progress updates through social media and e-mail communication to donors, potential donors and the general public.
- Actively solicits financial contributions from individual donors, corporations, and foundations in order to raise approximately $7 million remaining budget toward the project’s $10 million goal;
- Communicates effectively with key partners such as Co-Chairs and advisory bodies to ensure timely and successful coordination of each party’s work;
- Effectively stewards existing donors and aggressively cultivates and solicits leadership, major and grassroots prospects; and
- Provides regular updates on the project to the MLK Boston and TBF teams.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 7+ years of successful experience in non-profit fundraising; experience raising more than $1,000,000 preferred.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Successful experience fundraising from major donors, corporations, and foundations;
- Strong familiarity with, and proven connections to, the African-American communities in Boston;
- A deep knowledge of the American civil rights movement and the contributions of Martin Luther King, Jr., and especially of their impact on Boston;
- Significant project management experience, including projects requiring the successful coordination of numerous parties;
- Ability to self-motivate and work proactively to achieve project goals;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including experiencing using social media and other online communication platforms;
- Event-planning and management experience; and
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop high-quality relationships with a variety of constituencies, including donors, community members, committee members, and other partners.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time;
- Ability to use a computer monitor and keyboard for long periods of time;
- Ability to carry up to 25 pounds.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All applications should be submitted online.
Go to https://www.tbf.org/who-we-are/careers and select Development Director, MLK Boston to complete our online application process.
Diversity candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Equal Opportunity Employer.