Part Time Temporary
Details: $17 per hour.
30 Lafayette Avenue
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) seeks qualified and experienced Education Assistants to assist in the Memorial Room, a culturally-embedded space that allows the public to pay tribute to DanceAfrica constributors over the years, during the DanceAfrica Festival running May 25 through May 28, 2018. (Estimated 25 - 30 hours total)
BAM is the United States’ oldest continually operating performing arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both local and global communities—by providing world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, and film. DanceAfrica is BAM's longest running program and America's largest celebration of African and African-American dance, music, and culture. Created in 1977, under the artistic direction of Founding Elder Chuck Davis and with the aim of heightening awareness of African culture, the festival has evolved into a beloved annual Memorial Day weekend event that brings the entire community together. In 2015, the leadership baton was passed to Abdel R. Salaam.
- Welcoming patrons with guidelines for how to engage with the elements of the Memorial Room.
- Making sure guidelines are upheld.
- Assist, where needed, in helping patrons enter, maneuver, and exit the space
- Maintaining and restocking materials in the Memorial Room. Resetting components as well as sanitizing, when necessary
- Monitoring room capacity and holding patrons at door when at capacity
- Participate in Memorial Room training on Wednesday, May 23, 2018
- Assist other BAM staff in maintaining a safe environment in and around Memorial Room
- Supervision of space and elements to avoid theft, loss, and avoidable damage
- Relay room or patron-related issues to BAM staff
- Availability to work daytime and evening shifts May 25 – May 28, 2018
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills with elders, adults and children
- Comfortable with large crowds
- Familiarity with cultures from Africa and ancestral traditions
- Respect for African spirituality and meditation practices
- Ability to work independently and in a small team environment
- Ability to handle difficult situations and problem solve
- Able to provide and wear white or light clothing while working
- Experience working with diverse populations
This position is not eligible for benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- A Resume that outlines all work/education experience pertaining to the position.
- Three References with phone and email contact information who can speak to your past experience, particularly your customer service skills and ability to engage adults and young people.
Application Deadline: Thursday, May 17th, 2018
Application Instructions: must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.