Details: After 6 months probation period $46,00/year
Organizer Position Focus: The goal is to reach thousands of Maryland residents to support United Workers’ efforts build a core of members and leaders around the state of Maryland, that will grow and direct the Work with Dignity project. The position will include, but is not limited to direct outreach to workers (canvassing, workplace outreach, community meetings, etc), research and outreach for active organizations in different parts of the state, outreach and relationship-building with faith leaders around the state. Mobilize workers for legislative session in Annapolis.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Commitment to Political Education and Leadership Development
• Worker and organizational outreach in counties across Maryland
• Tracking and reporting weekly outreach activities
• Working in coalition with advocacy and faith organizations on strategic campaign issues
Potential candidates must:
● Have a valid driver’s license
● Be able to type at least 40 wpm
● Have strong interpersonal skills as a team player with fellow organizers and in worker outreach
● Be punctual
● Have basic computer skills for data entry and documentation
● Be willing to speak in public
● Believe that all life is sacred and worthy of dignity, and agree with a human rights framework for organizing
● Believe that it is possible to achieve wages and conditions that ensure all people can work with dignity through a movement led by directly impacted workers
● Interpersonal communication, including informing and inspiring others through worker outreach,
meetings, and one-on-one relationships
● Grassroots organizing, including outreach, one-on-one conversations, mobilizing, leadership development, event organizing and communications
● Organizational skills, including multi-tasking and strategic planning
● Working independently as well as collaboratively; willingness and ability to maintain a strong reporting relationship with other staff
Preference will be shown for candidates who:
● Have prior outreach and organizing experience
● Own their own car
● Are bilingual (English and Spanish)
Healthcare, Paid sick and safe leave, vacation time.
Level of Language Proficiency
Preferable Bilingual English-Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a resume and letter of interest - by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Work with Dignity Leadership Organizer Position"; By U.S. mail to PO Box 41547 Baltimore, MD 21203; Or, by hand to 2640 St. Paul Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 by Friday, November 30th, 2018.
In your letter of interest, please tell us why you believe you would be a good person for this job. You may be contacted for an interview, which will take place shortly after application deadline.
Women, persons of color and those with background and experience as low-wage workers are strongly encouraged to apply.
The United Workers does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law and works affirmatively to employ persons from disadvantaged and/or oppressed groups in society, including those with disabilities or handicapping conditions that are imposed by the social and economic inequities of society.