AmeriCorps VISTA Leader (2018-19) - Oakland
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
The High Level
The VISTA Leader is the face of the VISTA program at Reading Partners. This is an exciting chance to provide training and support to national Reading Partners VISTA members by creating professional development opportunities and leading on internal communications for the VISTA program. As the VISTA Leader, you’ll also drive the recruitment of future VISTA members with support of the AmeriCorps recruitment and admissions team. Reading Partners VISTA offers an amazing chance to give back through capacity-building roles – as a VISTA, you’ll receive benefits, a great place to serve, and the opportunity to springboard a glowing and growing career.
What you’ll do and how you’ll do it:
Relationship Management & Training
Provide support for training and professional development of VISTA members and supervisors serving at Reading Partners.
- The VISTA Leader will foster positive VISTA experiences by providing peer support and opportunities for dialogue amongst Reading Partners VISTA members. The VISTA Leader will process and support new VISTA members before pre-service orientation by initiating and maintaining communication throughout the VISTA on-boarding process. Other responsibilities include conducting regular check-ins with VISTA supervisors to ensure VISTA performance goals are being met, ensuring that both VISTA members and supervisors have the resources needed to be successful. Additionally, the VISTA Leader will act as the regional lead for the San Francisco Bay Area, and is responsible for providing support to other VISTA members in the area as well as organizing quarterly regional meetings. The VISTA Leader will also provide bi-monthly trainings to Reading Partners VISTAs.
Recruitment & Admissions
Lead on VISTA recruiting and admissions processes and strategies, including development of collateral, resources, and other tools.
- Alongside the Reading Partners AmeriCorps team, the VISTA Leader will lead on recruiting and admitting VISTAs for the upcoming program cycle. By becoming familiar with existing AmeriCorps recruiting and admissions processes, the VISTA Leader will align VISTA strategies, resources, and content within the organization to ensure effective recruitment in FY18.
Systems Development & Data Management
Improve systems for tracking and measuring VISTA data; support creation and template development to aid in overall VISTA project implementation and support.
- Streamlining and improving available systems is a huge responsibility for the VISTA Leader. By becoming familiar with the VISTA grant and each VISTA position at Reading Partners, the VISTA Leader will identify areas for improvement, implement best practices for collecting project information, and document data for the biannual progress report.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Have served at least ONE AmeriCorps or VISTA term with Reading Partners or another organization
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Have a strong desire to fight poverty
- Demonstrate a passion for literacy initiatives
- Are flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Pay strong attention to detail & manage multiple priorities
- Can quickly learn new technology systems and have a high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Boast a deep belief in our mission & root your work in our core values
- High school diploma/GED
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
What we offer:
- AmeriCorps members earn an annual compensation of $26,488. The VISTA program will authorize relocation allowance if a VISTA member moves more than 50 miles. Health insurance, including dental and vision coverage, is provided at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through VISTA for those who qualify. You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans. VISTA members can earn an education award of $5,920 after successfully completing their service term. VISTA members receive ten sick days and ten vacation days per year.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know:
- Service Terms : VISTA members serve full-time for a 12-month, 365-day term from mid-August of 2018 through mid-August of 2019.
- Travel : VISTA members may need to travel between Reading Partners sites and offices; reliable transportation is recommended.
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Orientation : Reading Partners VISTA members attend a pre-service orientation (location TBD), introducing AmeriCorps VISTA. Your direct supervisor will provide role-specific training as well.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested in joining the team as our VISTA Leader? Apply here!