Details: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
1404 Franklin Street
Children Now is a nonpartisan umbrella research, policy development, and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children's health, education and well-being in California. Children Now also leads The Children’s Movement of California, a grassroots network of more than 2,900 business, education, parent, civil rights, faith, and community-based organizations, as well as thousands of individuals, working together to make children a top priority in public policy. Learn more at www.childrennow.org.
We are seeking a highly motivated, detail-oriented individual to serve as our Development Assistant. This position supports the financial, fundraising and grants administrative needs of the organization. The Development Assistant will be responsible for assisting the Development team with grants and individual donor administration and special projects. This non-exempt, full-time position is located in our Oakland office and reports to the Director, Development and Outreach.
Ideal applicants will be fast learners, resourceful, able to handle a high volume of work quickly and efficiently, with excellent recall and superior attention to detail. Candidates should have strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills and excellent judgment. The candidate must be flexible, adaptable and solutions-oriented and able to communicate effectively with a range of staff including executive, senior, program, and administration staff. The candidate must be able to effectively prioritize competing requests. This position is ideal for someone who thinks critically, takes initiative and enjoys learning and contributing in a fast-paced environment. The position offers an opportunity to learn about policy advocacy, strategic communications, and non-profit fundraising while helping to support our efforts to improve the well-being of all of California’s children and remove racial and other inequities that limit children’s opportunities to reach their full potential.
- Process grant agreements, payments, proposals and reports, and maintain paper and electronic foundation and donor files;
- Accurately update and maintain the development deliverables tracking tools including tracking deadlines for proposals and reports and grant goals, objectives, and activities;
- Provide support to grant reporting and proposal processes, including supporting complete documentation for proposal/report submissions, providing information to project directors and staff regarding upcoming deadlines, and development of proposal submission attachments;
- Track, maintain and update foundation, corporate and individual supporters' contact information, bios, grant and donation records, and correspondence using Salesforce;
- Maintain and update funder and donor campaign lists in Salesforce;
- Prepare timely and accurate correspondence, both via mail and email, to foundations and donors, and provide careful proofreading of mailings and other communications;
- Manage the production of department donation mailings, including maintaining and generating accurate lists, performing complex database document merges, executing mailings, and generating donor acknowledgement letters;
- Conduct grant administration including coordinating with finance team to provide detailed information regarding grant commitments and foundation requirements, and supporting audit requests;
- Supporting program staff with development including preparing update lists, responding to ad hoc requests;
- Perform substantial data entry with accuracy;
- Schedule meetings;
- Support special events, including donor cultivation activities, board meetings, and policy events as needed;
- Work closely with the program and operations departments to support the communications and administrative needs of the organization;
- Manage systems for tracking individual donors, including board and leadership council contributions, and conduct preliminary research related to prospective individual donors and leadership council members;
- Updating development and organizational process and systems documents as needed
- Provide additional coverage for administrative staff as needed; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- At least two years of professional administrative or other relevant experience;
- Familiarity with the principles, methods, and practices of the development profession;
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills;
- Exceptional ability to work independently with meticulous attention to accuracy/detail;
- Superior judgment and discretion;
- Flexible, resourceful, and persistent change agent;
- Creative, imaginative, and innovative problem-solver;
- Ability to learn quickly and a commitment to quality work;
- Comfort with and aptitude for learning new technology systems;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and handle multiple time-sensitive tasks simultaneously requiring rapid turnaround and in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate responsively, appropriately, and professionally;
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- Able to perform substantial data entry with accuracy; and
- Able to be a team player and work effectively with others in a vibrant, diverse and multicultural environment.
- Previous experience with Salesforce or other client enterprise system;
- Previous experience with AirTable or other project management system; and
- Experience executing large scale mailings.
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications must include 1) cover letter, 2) resume, 3) brief writing sample (no more than three pages), and 4) at least three references. Please send and address all correspondence to:
Attn: Development Assistant Search
1404 Franklin Street, Suite 700
Oakland, CA 94612
E-mail applications with attachments in PDF or Microsoft Word format only. Please include your name in the file name for all documents (e.g. g.smith – resume). We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position; please do not call. Position open until filled.