Details: Range starts at $65,000
Climate Solutions seeks a smart, hard-working, and innovative Washington Transportation Policy Manager with a deep commitment to climate and clean energy solutions. The Washington Transportation Policy Manager will further Climate Solutions’ mission through concrete program and policy work, including legislative and administrative advocacy at the local, state, and national levels, with a principle focus on a range of policy goals including clean fuels, electrification, and strategies to reduce vehicle miles traveled. In partnership with the Washington Director and the Washington Team, including field and communications resources, they will spearhead new initiatives to accelerate reductions in climate pollution and the transition to clean mobility in Washington, build broad support for climate action, and enhance Climate Solutions’ role in the climate movement. This position requires extensive travel in the Puget Sound region and occasional travel statewide.
As a Northwest-based nonprofit, Climate Solutions' mission is to accelerate clean energy solutions to the climate crisis. Since 1998, Climate Solutions has pioneered the vision of a thriving, equitable Northwest, powered by clean energy, inspiring the transition to sustainable prosperity across the country and beyond. We are at the forefront of globally significant campaigns to make the Northwest the first region in the country to sustainably and equitably transition to 100% clean energy. Climate Solutions advances local, regional, and national action on climate and clean energy through championing transformational policies and market-based innovations; catalyzing powerful partnerships and a diverse movement for action and accountability; and communicating a bold vision for solutions at the scale required by climate science. For more information about Climate Solutions, visit www.climatesolutions.org.
The position is a full-time, exempt position located in the Seattle and supervised by the Washington Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop a multi-year strategic transportation decarbonization agenda, seeking to build a powerful, networked coalition of leaders and organizations to act on climate and urge action at multiple levels of government.
- Develop Climate Solutions positions on policy issues in concert with Climate Solutions policy team; outreach to subject matter and community experts to build organization’s policy capacity; and draft materials to support these efforts, including formal comment letters, regulatory and legislative proposals.
- Research, analysis, and preparation of supportive materials, including factsheets, briefings, analyses, other policy, campaign and communications materials as assigned, in conjunction with other Climate Solutions team members.
- Provide assistance and support to Washington Director as assigned, especially on clean fuels, electrification and mobility policy and politics.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and allies to encourage, support, and promote passage of climate, clean energy and clean transportation policies at the local, utility, and state levels.
- Represent Climate Solutions among its stakeholders, local elected officials, business, and opinion leaders, including doing public presentations, participating in public forums, and testifying at hearings.
- Represent Climate Solutions in regional policy initiatives to foster synergy among climate change and clean energy campaign efforts in the Pacific Northwest.
- Engage in campaign activities in support of the organization’s policy priorities.
- Monitor and track Climate Solutions’ engagement in multiple policy and campaign activities, managing calendars, deadlines and participation from other staff and stakeholders.
- Work cooperatively with other Climate Solutions programs to develop and advance policy goals.
- Build and maintain a high level of expertise and credibility in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Incorporate Climate Solutions’ Equity, Diversity and Inclusion commitments and Climate Solutions’ values (available here) into all aspects the job.
- Meet staff reporting deadlines for program, development, and administrative tasks.
- Additional duties may be assigned within the course of the work.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of state and local politics and the legislative process in Washington State.
- Exceptional written and verbal skills.
- Familiarity and facility with a range of written and electronic communications tools, including social media and email communications.
- Strong commitment to the mission and vision of Climate Solutions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with policy makers, partner organizations, stakeholders, and other influential groups and individuals who can support the passage of clean energy and climate change legislation.
- Understand, learn and analyze complex technical information, including local government, building code, legislative and regulatory policy in energy, transportation, and other sectors.
- Quickly learn and integrate the goals, activities, and accomplishments of stakeholders in the climate change and clean energy movement.
- Communicate complex technical information, both verbally and in writing, to policy makers, stakeholders, and the public to gain support for policy action.
- Create materials targeted to a wide variety of audiences, including local elected officials, legislators, activists, labor and business leaders, and coalition partners.
- Operate desktop computer and Microsoft Windows and Office Software, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and specialized software applications in a network environment.
Three years of experience working to advance policy goals. Experience in transportation electrification policy is preferred.
Fully paid medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability. Generous vacation. Sick and safe leave. Retirement.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Email a résumé, cover letter and at least three professional reference contacts in PDF format to email@example.com.
- Please put WASHINGTON TRANSPORTATION POLICY MANAGER and YOUR NAME as the subject line of the email and address the cover letter to Vlad Gutman-Britten, Washington Director.
- Please label the cover letter and resume with your first and last name.
- In the body of the email, please let us know how you found out about the position.
- This position is open until filled, but priority review will be given to candidates who have submitted their applications by November 2. Applications received after that date may be reviewed in a second round.
- If you are applying for multiple positions within the organization, please submit an application for each position.
Climate Solutions is committed to equal opportunity in employment and promotion for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, military or veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, pregnancy and childbirth, family responsibilities, or any other basis protected by applicable laws, regulations, or guidelines relating to discrimination in employment.